Variance Analysis between versions without using select

Hi,

I am trying to create a variance Analysis for users so they can compare price & volume between to Anaplan versions  (i.e Budget & Forecast, Budget & Actuals).

This idea is for user to select Version 1 and Version 2 to decide which versions they want to compare. Similar to:

Select V1 : XX (i.e Budget)

Select V2: YY (i.e forecast)

Price Variance Analysis: P(YY) - P(XX)

My calculation module (no versions) will take the data in different modules with versions. Is there any way to compare my different elements between versions without using SELECT: and refering directly the two chosen versions ?

Thanks for you help,

Answers

• We achieve this using a custom versions list instead of the standard versions list. It allows us to use LOOKUP and show the data based on the versions user selects. Please let me know if you want more details.

• Thanks for your answer !

Unfortunately we've been building the entire model on anaplan versions. It is thus not an option for us to switch to custom versions..

• Hello! There some sophicticated and effective techniques on variance analysis with select (like this: model is built on anaplan versions, for variance analysis anaplan versions are converted into virtual versions using select function). 

Below are two options to build variance analysis without select function:

- Option 1: Use specific anaplan versions for variance analysis (see screenshot with example)

- Option 2: Use compare functionality (see screenshot with example)

BR,

Igor

• There is no way to bring native version onto a list or a line item subset without doing a select.

However, having a centralized module where you use line items to recreate versions (with select) and transform these line items into a line item subset isn't too much maintenance (unless you create a lot of versions of course. You can then use a formatted line item drop down displayed on a dashboard to allow your users to choose what they want to see.

You have examples of various ways to do a dynamic variance analysis in this app:

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Finance/Planning-Budgeting-and-Forecasting-for-Saas/ba-p/28006

• Hi Ravi, 

Would you be able to provide more detail around how to achieve this in practice?

Thanks

N