charting with generic week numbers

Highlighted
Contributor

charting with generic week numbers

I need to chart multiple years with one line for each year and the axis showing the week numbers. I've been looking off and on, through the forum, for about four months and no luck finding a solution.  Please help.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Super Contributor

Re: charting with generic week numbers

Hi,

this would be clearer if you were specifying which axies should have what.

In any case it sounds like you need to have a module with the standard time as years and an additional list which recreates weeks (or the contrary) onto which you'll map your data.

Nathan Rudman
Anaplan Model Builder
Message 2 of 24
Contributor

Thanks so much for the response and I'll try to be more clear...you are headed the right way.   I want to chart gallons with two lines, one for current year, one for prior year.  The x axis = week #, y axis = gallons, user can chose site and activity.  four files attached...LIST:PNG =  I've created a list for week numbers like you suggested.  Module.PNG & module2.png:  a module with year as standard time...two views of module.  DATA.PNG = file where gallons are imported.  I'm stuck and cannot get my gallons data mapped into the module....this is probably basic stuff, but that is some of the stuff I struggle with...and I've been thru both modeling classes.Again thanks for the help...and is this a solution I could have found on the community....did I not look correctly?  Also is there additional reading I can do to understand mapping?

Super Contributor

Hi Debbie

If I understood correctly you have the data flowing by weeks for all the years.

1) Current year should be loaded into Gallons and previous year data should be loaded into Gallons PY

2) In your file you have to load the file twice one for Gallon and second for PY

3) Make sure your names week columns match with the week dimension list items

4) IF you could share your error file and data file it might be much easier to help you

If the scenario is that you are getting previous year value from a file for this year and from coming year the previous year value comes from current year value present in Anaplan then you have to redesign your modules.

Message 4 of 24
Contributor

Thanks so much for the response.  I'll busy today with the weekly data load so may not get a chance to review until tomorrow , but I will get back to you.

Message 5 of 24
Contributor

So when I import my data I need to include a column for week number?  BTW I'm only going to import the file once and then I'll use LAG to get prior year.  Thanks for helping with this.

Message 6 of 24
Super Contributor

Hi,

I think we have given you bad answers because we misundertsood your needs. First you expressed that you wanted a double time axis with years on X and weeks on Y. I don't think that's what you want.

In your module with your timeline, you just need two line items Gallons and Gallons PY. Bring the numbers on Gallons and do a lag(Gallons,52 [if in weeks],0) for Gallons PY and that will do it.

Nathan Rudman
Anaplan Model Builder
Message 7 of 24
Contributor

you are correct...my issue is how to get the gallons to show up in module from the import module, please see pictures I posted earlier....how can i reference the week number when it's not in the import?  What is the formula?  sorry but this has been very frustrating for over a year now....I keep trying and setting it aside and trying  and setting it aside....anytime I've tried to map data from an import like this activity one...where row number is the dimension...i get error regarding no hierarchy.  but then sometimes it works and i find a way around it by adding yet another column to the data import.  It's sounding like that's the only way to map from modules with row numbers is by ever increasing the imported columns.I'm starting to doubt that this the right way to build...so that's why I'm attempting to get a better answer, again.  THANKS and I apoligize for my frustrated tone.  I do try to find my own answers on the forum but hours/days of looking and here I am.  I would have posted before but until the recent redo of the community I had not been able to find a place to post a question...and I have asked...just never got an answer.

Message 8 of 24
Super Contributor

Oh I see now !

In your module activity numbers (the one with the rows), this is where you need to have a line item "week number" where you do item(week of year).

Then on your "gallons" the formula should be: Activity Actuals Import.Gallons[sum:week number]

That should bring you the data

ps: your week number could actually be in the second module but it doesn't make much sense in terms of logic

Nathan Rudman
Anaplan Model Builder
Message 9 of 24
Contributor

I can see where me having "extra" fields trying to figure out how to make this work...could confuse.  BTW I removed the fields I didn't think you'd need to see. LOL

Ok so how do I get:

"In your module activity numbers (the one with the rows), this is where you need to have a line item "week number" where you do item(week of year)."  week of year is not a dimension, row numbers are

by adding a field as part of the data prep

OR is there some formula to bring it in from list = weeks of year?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 24