150 Line items

RobaSajadian
Occasional Contributor

150 Line items

Hello everyone,

I have a module without Time Range(I can't have it). I need to calculate a quarterly item in 30 years.

Actually, the module is in 7 years old and we have one line item per quarter, but if I want to continue this method, I must have 150 line items.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advanced,

Roba

17 REPLIES 17
nathan_rudman
Community Boss

well it's not great but if you cannot do otherwise (which means using time) for a good reason then 150 line items will work.

Nathan Rudman, Anaplan Model Builder
nathan_rudman
Community Boss

ps: I share the concern of the others. The only good solution is to use time. If you really cannot (although I don't see how that could be) use time then 150 line items works, but it will be nightmarish to maintain.

RobaSajadian
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Nathan,

AntonMineev
Certified Master Anaplanner

Hello! Can you put out the blueprint? I am sure that it is possible to come up with a solution based on Lineitem Subsets or technical LI with Real Time. Or redo the whole source module (why not?)

MaartenGijbels
Regular Contributor

Hi 

Why don't you just use a custom list? A list specifying:

2016 Q1

2016 Q2

2020 Q4?

This could also be done using 2 lists:

Year: 2015, 2016, ... , 2020

Quarters: Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4

Both would require only 1 line item and the size would be roughly the same. 

Something to consider:

Anaplan is not designed for storage of data/information. Using it as a data warehouse can become quite costly due to the size-implications. So it might be good to consider alternative solutions.

All the best,

Maarten.

RobaSajadian
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Marteen,

Good solution! I'll try it.

nathan_rudman
Community Boss

wait if you can use a list can't you use time range ?

RobaSajadian
Occasional Contributor

I don't know if I can use your solution or not. We have 2 source modules that have been used by the other modules and I cannot easily change them.

For add a time range in 30 ans, I have the problem of space.

nathan_rudman
Community Boss

there's no difference between a TR of 30 years vs a custom list of 150 elements vs 150 line items in terms of size.