3.3.5.2 Question of Preference/Efficiency

Concerning the "Confirmed Purchase Order Receipt" field. The "Hints" suggest;

IF Confirmed PO Delivery > 0 THEN OFFSET(Suggested Order Amount for the Month, -Shipping Time Weeks, 0) ELSE 0

That is working fine.

However, I was thinking about using POST, as I do in the "Confirmed PO Delivery".   Instead of using an IF THEN statement, Simply use POST. I used  PO Submitted * Suggested Order Amount for the Month as the VALUE and offset it by the number of weeks.  For the majority of the values, it will be 0 * Suggested Order Amount...  which is Zero. Both work fine, I was just wondering which would be more efficient?

Thanks for your time!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• @paulnjr 

When we see the results here both POST and OFFSET look similar and are giving similar results. But when dig deep into the formula both POST and OFFSET works differently and would give you very different results depending upon the situation.

Offset will fetch the value from 'x' number of periods in the future or in the past of your selected line item . Where as POST will push the value 'x' number of periods in the future or in the past from your selected line item, Also the interesting part lies here, it also sums up the values if any of the other Data items point to the same period. 

I hope it helps

~Anand

https://in.linkedin.com/in/anand-shekhawat-35645486

Answers

• Thank you for the fast response!  And Yes, I forgot that it sums the periods between!  

OFFSET it is!

Thanks again!

• Hi @paulnjr 

Like @anand.shekhawat wrote the logic for these two functions are different. Respect to this matter usage of them should be under different conditions.

But I would like address other topic. If you use syntax: PO Submitted * Suggested Order Amount for the Month then result value would be placed in wrong column. But if you use this syntax: Confirmed PO Delivery * Suggested Order Amount for the Month then the result would be same as "IF Confirmed PO Delivery > 0 THEN POST(Final Shipment Amount, Final Shipping Time Weeks) ELSE 0".

I loved your extraordinary solution bye the way:)

Sincerely,

Aykut