ALM sync broken between Production & Dev because of restore of Prod model to a historical ID

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

ALM sync broken between Production & Dev because of restore of Prod model to a historical ID

Hi Team,

I am facing a issue where my ALM sync is broken between Production and Dev model.

This happened when I restored my PROD model to a historical ID. This rollback was done to an ID, which was before 2 revision tags synced from Dev.

For example, I synced my Prod model with Dev with RT1 & RT2, and in Dev I have already RT3. Now due to syncing with RT1 & RT2, my data in Prod model gets affected because of some calculations, so I had to revert my Prod model to ID, which was before sync with RT1 & RT2. This i had done by changing mode of Prod model from Deployed to Standard mode.

This has broken my ALM sync with DEV. Is there any way, I can get the sync back between Dev & Prod? 

Appreciate your help.

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Re: ALM sync broken between Production & Dev because of restore of Prod model to a historical ID

Hi Varchasva,

No need to worry. You can easily restore the link

Leave the PROD model as it is; ie. just after your history restore to before RT1

Now restore the DEV model to the last sync to PROD. In your case that should be RT just before RT1. The history point will be called - 'Revision added by user'

After restoring the DEV model, create an empty revision tag and check if the sync works to PROD

Let me know if this works

In the future, please make sure the PROD model is always in the Deployed mode 

Regards,

Anirudh

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: ALM sync broken between Production & Dev because of restore of Prod model to a historical ID

@anirudh, Thanks for the quick response. I understand the solution given by you.

Just to clarify you want me to Restore Dev model to ID which was before RT1, say at "RT0".

But, as per my knowledge, when we create revision tag, Anaplan does not create any ID, so shall I revert the history just after RT0 creation? also would like to know, if you ever back tested this solution?

Thanks,

Varchasva

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi @Varchasva.Jain  

Just wanted to clear one thing, Now finally you want to keep the Dev Model RT 3 changes as Final or the Prod Revised History Model Change as Final.

Thanks,

N

Thanks,
Nakul
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi @NakulAggarwal,

I want to keep, Production model revised history as final.

Thanks,

Varchasva

Highlighted
Contributor

@Varchasva.Jain 

You can create a Dev model from the latest Prod model and create a sync from it. 

https://help.anaplan.com/anapedia/Content/ALM/Prepare_Existing_Models.html#B

Please refer to Part B here. Creating a Dev model from Prod and establishing the ALM and sync.

Hope this helps for you.

Thanks,

N

Thanks,
Nakul
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@NakulAggarwal, Thanks for your inputs but I know this solution. It's just In my case, setting up of new dev model requires lot of time & efforts as we have to have some data set to start working there, and that will take time.

So I feel the solution given by @anirudh can help me. but wanted to sure on the questions I have.

Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Hi,

Yes I have tested this. The model sync will work as long as 2 models are structurally same. So revert history to just before the RT0 - Revision added manually by user.

Think of it this way; DEV model should be in exact same state as the PROD model is right now and since RT1 and RT2 changes have been reverted, the same must be done in DEV

Regards,
Anirudh
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi @anirudh, I tried the same way (restoring dev model to RT0, and creating a new RT) but still I am unable to see Dev model while syncing to Prod.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I think, I found the catch. I just checked and found there is one new RT in PROD model, with name 'Copy Model'. It seems this revision tag was created while creating the new DEV model from PROD.

@anirudh Your previous solution should have worked if the new Dev was not created. Now, is there any thing we can do in this case?