Ability to create one child to multiple parent hierarchy

Hi

Does anybody have an answer to building a list hierarchy with a child with multiple parents?

For instance, when an entity is owned by multiple 5 trusts equally 20% each, how can we possibly build up the hierarchy on this structure?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi,

Just wanted to know whether a list member can be assigned to multiple parents? Example - I have a currency "EUR" which I want to assign to multiple countries "Parent". 

Thanks

• Hi @CommunityMember111277,

in this case I would say that Currency is characteristic of e.g. Country.

Therefore, you would store this information in your System Module, where Country would be your dimension, and Currency as list-formatted line item, then you can easily load, or select Currency for all your list members. You can easily select EUR for all Countries, it does not matter.

• Hello @michael_park 

I believe the response by @LipChean_Soh might be the most suitable for your particular case since a child doesn't wholly belong to one parent.
    To answer your question more broadly.....

Technically a child belongs to one parent in Anaplan lists, however, there are ways to design and implement the hierarchical list to accommodate situations where we need to present a child under more than one parent.

Here are 2 common cases:

1. A Product (List) that I sell to many Stores (List) and you want to plan/report on the level of Account-Product. In this case, you use a Combination List where you combine every valid combination of products sold in a particular stores.

• Store1Product1
    • Store1Product3
    • Store2 Product1

You can learn about Combination Lists here.

2. I need to report the same data differently, then we use Alternate Hierarchy

In this case, you have the calculation done once on the child level - say product- but you want to report the data not only by Product Family (original parent) but also by location or business unit or manufacturing location. 

The point here is to take the same Products to create the new (alternate) hierarchy so I don't lose all the calculations already done for products. This is also called Clone List/hierarchy. You should make sure to use the same Product Code in the original and clone hierarchy lists and use a mapping (lookup/finditem) to link the 2 list items.

Check this post for some more information.

As for @CommunityMember111277 question, it raises a good point which is when to use a hierarchy and when all you need is an attribute (another line item)

You need a hierarchy if you constantly need to aggregate the data in a certain manner. When you think about currency, it's not considered as a parent to a country - i.e. I don't need to aggregate the country data up to a currency level. More likely, I need to assign every country the appropriate currency as an attribute or property, if I happen to need all the values by a currency type then I can use the SUM function. Value[SUM:Currency]

Hopefully, that's helpful as a starting point, if you have any questions regarding any of the information here please let me know and we can go into more and specific details.