Accessing Non parent list items from parent list in a module dimensioned with child list.

swapnil_J
Contributor

Accessing Non parent list items from parent list in a module dimensioned with child list.

I have List items of list X-  A,B,C,D,E,F

List items of list Y- A1,A2, B1,D1 ,D2, E1 (Child list of list X)

here item C,F don't have any child .

I'm using List Y in a Test module 

line item1 - displays all list item at child level (i.e list item  of  List Y )

line item 2- I want to display all list item from list X

issue-> i'm only able to fetch only those list item from list X which has child (tried using parent function)

how can I  fetch all the list item from parent list in this module?

4 REPLIES 4
Misbah
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Re: Accessing Non parent list items from parent list in a module dimensioned with child list.

@swapnil_J 

Well you will have to dimensionalize your second line item with List X. See if this helps

Misbah_0-1612517810669.png

Misbah_1-1612517844762.png

swapnil_J
Contributor

Re: Accessing Non parent list items from parent list in a module dimensioned with child list.

@Misbah 

Actually I don't want to create subsidiary view because using this two line items i'm creating  two booleans  and  based upon their value 3rd boolean will be true/false.

but when i create subsidiary view i'm not able to access the boolean which i have created using line item X

[not able to access boolean value of c,f using lookup  ]

Misbah
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

@swapnil_J 

Even I don't recommend using subsidiary views but would you care to share what exactly are you trying to achieve by doing so. That probably may lead us towards the right approach

alexpavel
Certified Master Anaplanner

@swapnil_J   When I have this kind of issue I always relied on Ratio summary method... 

Any formula you apply in a module where is used the list Y (detailed level) it will use only the base members of the list Y and it will apply summary methods starting from Y level ONLY. (so, at upper levels you will always have only values of the elements X which have children in the list Y.

Ratio summary method is the only way to have in the same column the values from the list Y and values on the list X without any child in the list Y. 

With Ratio summary method you have a limitation: works only for numeric Line-items... ( below the Element "C" does not have children.. In the Using Ratio line-item there are values ...even the formula takes data from 'L2' line-item: (list Y)

alexpavel_0-1612545256869.png

alexpavel_1-1612545383579.png

Hope it helps

Alex