Adding a list subset in dimentions while making a module (Level 1 - 10.2.5)

I am on this activity from Level 1 training at the moment, making a module as per below.  And it says to add Active? List subset as well as E2 Employees# and Time to the dimensions.  

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 11.08.50.png

I took it as doing this:

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 11.15.14.png

But I got the following error message instead:

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 11.15.27.png

I am not too certain what I should be doing from here to accomplish the task.  Any pointer would be much appreciated!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• anirudh
    Answer ✓
    Hi kotoponus,

You can't have both objects in the Applies to section.
    In the Select Lists dialog, simply scroll down to 'E2 Employees#: Active?' subset and click on only that list. There should be no other selections. Then click OK

Regards,
    Anirudh

Answers

• @anirudh 

Thank you!  I did not expect to hear from anyone so quickly!  Likewise, I found the following post which backs your suggestion as well as you responded.

Now, I am wondering if you can give me a good pointer for adding Time in dimentions as it says I also need Time in my dimension.  As the data structure is like this:

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 11.41.17.png

As per instruction below:

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 11.47.09.png

And to add Time dimension means this (by Day in below case):

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 11.44.08.png

I am feeling a little confused about why I need Time dimension here.  When all this is describing is each active employee.  The time dimension would be there to aggregate anyone who started on each day but the data structure is not for aggregation?  Would you kindly tell me what I am misunderstanding here in introducing Time in dimentions?  

• Sure!
    So whenever you add a dimension to a module in Anaplan, it means that the data in that module varies by that dimension.
    For example, employees once assigned to a department will permanently be in that department. Let's say Employee X is assigned to Dept A. Now if you add time dimension to a module containing this data, it means that for each month in the time dimension, he belongs to a different department, which makes no sense at all!

So for this kind of information, you should not be adding the time dimension, but looking at the other line items in the module, salary, bonus, car costs etc, they do vary by time and will need the time dimension

Hope that clarifies things a little more...

Regards,
    Anirudh
  • Ah, I get it now.  Because you have SYS00 Time Settings in dimension Time by month:

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 12.18.53.png

I need to match the dimension by that to meet the grouping unit:

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 12.19.29.png

Then you get:

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 13.14.54.png

• Hi @anirudh 

Thanks for the further response - much appreciated. 

As per below, I can now see what this module will be used.  Monthly reference to the expense allocations with some useful dates.  Redundant alright, but it is used for a quick lookup presumably.