Adding a new list of existing model

Options

Hi All, 

I am adding a new list (dimension) to my existing model. I am able to pull in the actual data from the source system by the new list easily. However I am not sure whats the best way to go about integrating the new list for the forecast planning. Currently - in my forecast planning module, my current forecast data gets duplicated for each item in the new list and hence inflating the totals. My goal is to have the forecast data land into only one item on the new list and then also have the ability to then start forecasting/move around the forecast into other items of the list. 

@JaredDolich @andrewtye @einas.ibrahim 

Please guide.

Thanks,

Megha

Answers

• @Megha27 

Interesting challenge! Just a hunch because I cannot see what's happening, but if your data is duplicating it probably means your source data file contains multiple entries for the same list item. Anaplan will automatically add up the values every time it sees the same list item. Take a look at that and see if that might be your issue. If not, let's take a look at a sample of your source file and a screenshot of your list. Let's get you to the finish line quick!

• Hello @Megha27 

Could you please clarify what do you mean by "adding a new list (dimension) to a model?

We add lists to a model under general lists and import data into it (through a saved view) or by inserting items manually. Then we add an existing list as a dimension to a module.
    What is that new dimension that you are adding? why are you adding it? what are the original dimensions for your module? then we can look at why the data is being duplicated.
    screenshots would be helpful

• @JaredDolich There is no source file file involved as such. The existing module already had the forecast data say a forecast of $100k for a GL account. I added the new list to the module, say Region and it has 3 list members (Region 1, Region 2 and Region 3) and now it repeats the data it had to show me $100k for Region 1, $100k for Region 2 and $100k for Region 3, therefore tripling the forecasted number.

What I am looking for is to have $100k against Region 1 and $0 against Region 2 and Region 3 but  also have the ability to then say split my $100k into $50k each in Region 1 and Region 2 but obviously keep the $100k forecast number constant at the totals level. 

Does that make the issue clearer?  Thanks for helping me out here. 

• @Megha27 

Awesome! Just use breakback. Hold and Release only works in classic but that's about to change, hopefully in a couple of weeks. Right mouse click on a cell if if you want the value to "hold", use breakback, then select hold.

JaredDolich_0-1650906311540.png

• Hi @JaredDolich 

Breakback is grayed out for me.  Attached are two screenshots. The data is getting duplicated on the list Sub 1 and Sub 2. The new list is Subsidiaries.Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 10.55.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-25 at 10.55.40 AM.png

• @Megha27 

Ah, okay. Your line item must have a formula in it. Let's take a look at the formula. We may need to use a LOOKUP function.

• @JaredDolich there you go

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 11.44.19 AM.png

• Hi @einas.ibrahim 

The list I am adding is called Subsidiary. Adding because the business now wants reporting by subsidiaries. The current module is a forecast planning module which relies on calculations to get PY avg, rolling avg etc. and user defined defined adjustment to get to the forecast number. The dims on the module currently are Months, Version, Departments and line items to hold the calcs. I am adding subsidiary to the module. There is no problem bringing in the new dim - problem is what I described in my first two posts. I added a bunch of screenshots as well. 

Please review.

Thanks,

Megha

• @Megha27 

Almost there. Let's review and understand the calculation you have there.

Put this line item in a grid on a dashboard and drill down (preferably in New UX). That will show you all the values that Anaplan is using to calculate this line item.

• Which one looks wrong?
    • Go to that line item and continue to drill down until you find the source of the 2x issue.

Only other option I can think of is to see the applies to and calendar for these modules but this really isn't necessary until you discover the line item that is giving you the 2x.

• NetSuite IS actuals w/ Projects
    • OPEX - w/o Comm & B+T
    • Base Expense Assumptions

If the 2x is occurring during the list update, as you originally mentioned, you should go back to my original response and look at your source file (the one that updates the list). This most certainly can cause your challenge.

• @JaredDolich I think there's some confusion in here. I am probably not communicating correctly. Adding 4 screen. 1 is before - New "Subsidiary" list not added. 2. After - With the new Subsidiary list. New list has 2 items - Sub 1 and Sub 2. Its the line items that are getting calculated for each member of the Subsidiary list - which is inflating the total. I want the total to be same at all Sub level i.e. 536k and in the after screenshots, you will see that I am at 963k. 

My apologies for not communicating correctly. Let me know what you think after you review the screenshots. @einas.ibrahim After All Sub.pngAfter Sub 1.pngAfter Sub 2.pngBefore.png

• @Megha27 

Calc PY Avg is using a formula and you have a SUM summary on it. Change that to Formula or determine the right ratio so it aggregates correctly.

• @JaredDolich Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I think I am on my way to correct solution.