Aggregation of Text Comments up a hierarchy using TEXTLIST

End goal is to be able to enter and aggregate text formatted comments up a hierarchy.  Entry should be possible at each level, with prior results appended.

I feel like I should be able to use TEXTLIST in the Summary: Formula for the line item and have it roll up the hierarchy on its own.  I have not been able to figure out how.   Would I be able to edit at the higher levels is still an issue.   Not like its a numerical breakback.   Any ideas try or solutions would be appreciated.

My inelegant solution is a series of modules for each hierarchy level where I aggregate using textlist based off the comment and parents from lower level items.  

Unless there is a way to deliver different modules to a dashboard based on the hierarchy selection (not that I am aware of)  I would need to create entry dashboards for each level to map comments to hierarchy.

o3 comment.jpgo4 comment.jpg

Answers

• @JCFudali 

Interesting use-case.

When you aggregate comment text what is the expectation? Are you trying to count the number of comments?

If so, you can just use another line item that tests for blank or length and assign a zero or 1. Then sum them up.

Help us understand the requirement a little better and we'll get you to the finish line.

• No, you cannot input text on multiple levels like breakback.
    I'm afraid your solution is the only one if you want user to be able to input comments at every level.

• @JCFudali 

We all know how much TEXTLISTs are bad to Hyperblock but if there is a requirement like this then this is the only way I can think of. Hence I second you that you need to have multiple modules of diff dimensions and then aggregate texts on lower levels of hierarchy

• @JaredDolich 

End goal is to capture the full text of the comments related to forecast variances.  Comments could be captured at any level and users at multiple levels may need to make a comment.

As I indicated above I feel like I should be able to use textlist as a summary formula for the text based comment but I just don't think it works that way.  How and where does one enter a formula for a formula based sum?  Maybe my understanding of formula based sum is off.