Alphabetically ordered list

Hello all,

I have a list of employees without alphabetical order in my model.

On the dashboard, I can create a new employee in the list but I want the whole list to become ordered alphabetically when displaying for example. Would it be possible to help me ?

Regards,

Answers

• Hi @soukainawaraki 

You can create line item referring name of the employee and then sort based on that line item using sort ascending and then publish that to dashboard,

when you will add a new employee and refresh , it will automatically be added based on sorted position

Kanishq17_0-1597247046251.png

This is my module in the db, 

Now added a new employee named Eva

Kanishq17_1-1597247294056.png

It got sorted to the required position

• Hi,

Try this setting

anirudh_0-1597249292443.png

And in the resultant popup click on Ascending and hit OK

anirudh_1-1597249208831.png

That should work

Regards,

Anirudh

• Thank you for your answer. 

Very good tip. I manage to apply it to a module and it works. But, is there a way to apply this order on the list itself ?

So that the order will be applied in all modules that contain the Employee list?

Thank you !

• Unfortunately no! You will have to repeat this process for each module
    Lists them have to be manually reordered...
  • There is a new feature: Order List action

https://help.anaplan.com/anapedia/Content/Modeling/Build%20Models/Actions/Order-list.html?_ga=2.136222710.635220381.1601650289-1152843459.1599592837

Steps that have worked for me:

1. create a new module based on the list you want to sort

2. Create a line item with a formula that creates the value you want to use for sort (Ex: Last Name, First Name combination)

3. Create a SORT line item  - Text format  - NO FORMULA

this line item will be the one referenced in the action

4. Either manually copy the values from item in (2) above and paste into item in (3) or create an action to do this

5. Create and run the action using values in (3) for the sort

It appears you cannot use an item with a formula that references your list as the item to sort by. Therefore you need a non-formula based item to sort with.

Hope this helps!

• @MaryM 

Could you elaborate on "It appears you cannot use an item with a formula that references your list as the item to sort by. Therefore you need a non-formula based item to sort with."

As long as the line item is formatted as Text or numeric, you can use a formulaic line item e.g. NAME(ITEM(Listname))

David