Anaplan RESTful API upload/import/export files workaround?

Hello,

I am trying to integrate the Anaplan API. I found that all the tasks (upload/import/export) listed in the Anaplan API documentation (http://docs.anaplan.apiary.io/) requires manual operations in Anaplan UI first. For example, I have to upload/import/export manually in UI first, in order to get the corresponding Action ID, then I am able to use Anaplan API to perform the exact same tasks with these provided Action IDs...

So my questions are:

1. What is the purposes/use cases of Anaplan API, if upload, import and export have to be manually operated  in the Anaplan UI first?

2. Is there a workaround to use Anaplan API to upload/import/export without manually do these actions in UI first? Since I was trying to upload and import an exact same file name (.csv file, with the same content header, but I changed the value of some cells) into a module with the same import task id as listed in the Anaplan UI - Actions. However, it seems that module data content not getting updated...

Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• Hi Ling,

First time UI based Import / Export defines the import mapping / export settings for Anaplan.This mapping / settings are saved under Actions. Later these import / export process can be used in Anaplan Connect / API to automate the respective Action

Also, if you use a new CSV for import file with different values, then it should get updated in Anaplan. If not, it means that the Anaplan Connect batch file is not set up correctly.

Regards,

Sheethal

• Hi,

The use case for the API is to automate recurring actions, in this case imports.  For example, if your IT partner places a data file in a designated folder, you could have a follow-on scheduled process (that leverages the Anaplan API) to load that data into Anaplan for you.  (Or you could have a simple batch file that you trigger yourself to load the file, which saves you from having to navigate into Anaplan to load the file).  The frequency & timing of the load will guide your decision making as to how to proceed.  For example, if you & a small team benefit from a monthly load, then you might want to just load it manually via a button on a dashboard.  However, if a global audience requires that periodic loads be accomplished often & on off-hours, then an automated/scheduled process can be valuable!

Whever we use the API to import, we have to import the data manually first in order to create the import profile. 

Cheers!