Automatic Sum Error

Hi, Anaplanner friends

(Please refer to the attached excel file)

Here I have a source module with Region (List) in its Page and Customer (List) in its Row. The result module would like to have total sales (roles up to Total Region and Total Customer). When I tried to make a direct link (Sales by Customers.Sales) in Sales' formula of the result module, I got an error that goes "Automatic sum of Sales over Customer hierarchy is not possible as Customer does not have a built-in top level". Any pointers on this issue ?

I guess one possible solution for this is to add "Region" and " Customer" to the result module and show only Total Region and Total Customer. In this case, the same to be added to the source module "variable cost" ??

Your support much appreciated. John W

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jaakko
    Answer ✓

Hi John,

Anaplan uses the highest item in the hierarchy for retrieving the figure to the target module if the source list (or its parent/predecessor hierarchy) is missing from the target module. If you don't have top level item defined in the customer list (or its parent hierarchy) you can get the error "Automatic sum of Sales over Customer hierarchy is not possible as Customer does not have a built-in top level".

If you don't want to have top level item in the hierarchy, you can also use a property in the source for summing. In that case you need a list used in property as a dimension in your target module. For example your target module could have a list "segment" and your customer list would have a list formatted property "segment". Then your formula would look like this: Sales by Customer.Sales[SUM: Customer.Segment].

Hope this helps, glad to help more if needed!

Answers

• Hi, Jaakko

I caught on what exactly "Customer does not have a built-in top level" meant. Now I could make a direct link b/w the source and the result ! Thank you. Actually, in Tree view, Customer List has its hierarchy with "Total Customer" as its top level. But now I understood Top Level in Configure has to be set in order for direct link to make it work.