Bi-weekly Pay Period Management

LilyLiuAnaplan
Certified Master Anaplanner

Bi-weekly Pay Period Management

Dear Community,

My budget model's calendar type is Month/Quarter/Years but I need to do some calculations by bi-weekly pay periods and then roll up the result (using SUM) to month.  Our payroll calendar varies by year. 

I created a Pay Period Lists and a management module to map the Pay Period to the Month and Year it belongs. Please see the attached file. I still need to work on not hard coding year etc., but I wanted to consult with our experts to make sure that my approach is not against  Anaplan best practice. 

Thank you very much for your help.

Lily

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
hendersonmj
Frequent Contributor

Your approach looks okay to me if you have ruled out using the regular Time feature using Weeks and a time filter to show only pay periods.

Mapped alt-Time lists give us flexibility, but be aware that alt-Time lists don't automatically handle any of the conveniences (switchover date, current period, PREVIOUS, etc.) that are provided by the model calendar.  Most of those features can be built with a bit of creativity and effort, The alternative is to use the stock time feature with the week level (4-4-5, 4-5-4 or 5-4-4) with weeks rolling up to months. To show only pay periods (even or odd weeks) you would use a time filter to suppress alternating weeks. You could use a Time Range configured at the Month level for other (non-payroll) modules.  

View solution in original post

LilyLiuAnaplan

Thank you so much, both!

Dear Chenhack, could you please kindly elaborate your solution in more detail? It seems amazing but I cannot fully understand. 

jackcplanning

You can create a dummy model and set the Time Settings to Weeks.

Create a module with Time as the dimension with a number formatted line item - set the formula to 1. This will sum up the # of weeks in a given month (see attached image).

You can then import the months into your spoke model.

Just a note: this is a workaround, likely not the optimal solution!

4 REPLIES 4
hendersonmj
Frequent Contributor

Your approach looks okay to me if you have ruled out using the regular Time feature using Weeks and a time filter to show only pay periods.

Mapped alt-Time lists give us flexibility, but be aware that alt-Time lists don't automatically handle any of the conveniences (switchover date, current period, PREVIOUS, etc.) that are provided by the model calendar.  Most of those features can be built with a bit of creativity and effort, The alternative is to use the stock time feature with the week level (4-4-5, 4-5-4 or 5-4-4) with weeks rolling up to months. To show only pay periods (even or odd weeks) you would use a time filter to suppress alternating weeks. You could use a Time Range configured at the Month level for other (non-payroll) modules.  

jackcplanning

If converting your model to weeks isn't an option, an alternative solution may be to create a separate model (weeks based) and import the # of weeks in a given month. For example, a 4-4-5 calendar would import 4 weeks to the first period of the quarter. This would result in the 3rd period having 2.5x pay to accommodate the extra week.

LilyLiuAnaplan

Thank you so much, both!

Dear Chenhack, could you please kindly elaborate your solution in more detail? It seems amazing but I cannot fully understand. 

jackcplanning

You can create a dummy model and set the Time Settings to Weeks.

Create a module with Time as the dimension with a number formatted line item - set the formula to 1. This will sum up the # of weeks in a given month (see attached image).

You can then import the months into your spoke model.

Just a note: this is a workaround, likely not the optimal solution!