Centralized Identity Management (CIM) - Huge Step Forward

rob_marshall

Re: Centralized Identity Management (CIM) - Huge Step Forward

For more information on CIM, check out this link:

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Releases/CIM-Phase-2-rollout-update/ba-p/105108

Rob

Misbah

@rob_marshall 

Yes, read it yesterday as soon as the notification hit my inbox. Didn't understand the delaying part at all. Why the delay - Any theory behind it?

rob_marshall

@Misbah 

You know I can't answer that in an open forum. 🙂

DaanishSoomar
Certified Master Anaplanner

Hmm @Misbah and @rob_marshall - this is an interesting development. 

I believe keeping WSA's role the same while adding User Admin almost makes both roles and their responsibilities a bit redundant. 

Are you able to help clarify the segregation of responsibilities that CIM will aim to create? Is there value behind making somone only a User Admin instead of Workspace Admin?

rob_marshall

@DaanishSoomar 

I believe you are overthinking it a bit, but yes they will overlap a bit.  The first thought was to remove the ability to import users the way we currently do (using an action to either pull certain members from a different model or be able to upload a file).  There are many customers who are currently doing it this way and ripping the bandaid and removing this feature would have had a negative effect on them.  So, we will now have two ways of adding users, the old way as well as via CIM.  And if you do it the old way, there will be an API that updates CIM ensuring CIM is current.

Remember, the User Admin role only allows the user the ability to provision/remove a user from a workspace while a WSA has the ability to define the role of that user.  In the future, not all WSA's will have the ability to provision users.

Rob

DaanishSoomar

Got it thanks for the clarification @rob_marshall.

jean-francois_l
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for all your feedback.
I have a question about a roadmap Anaplan of user management.
Will it be possible in the short term to create in batch, via import, directly in the administration console?

Thank you in advance for your clarification.

Misbah

@jean-francois_l 

There was no communication on that whether bulk import feature will be available on Administration console or not. However as far as I know Import based user management will not impacted by CIM. 

Misbah

jean-francois_l
Occasional Contributor

@Misbah 

Thank you for this quick feedback.

Jean-François

jwu

Sorry, late to the game but here are my issues with this feature.

We have power users that we would like to give the ability to not only add or delete users but in essence, run the process/actions that update all the selective access in bulk.   Making a person a "User Admin" only allows them to add or remove users through tenet admin.  They still have to be a Work Space Admin in order to change selective access or write to the user list.  However, we don't want that person to be a WSA but just be able to run the process to update from a dashboard.  Hopefully, there will be other phases that will allow something like this?...or not?   We just haven't found any use for a person to just have access to only add or delete a user.