Child elements belonging to the same list

Form - Add Region.png

I'm talking about a list with no parent hierarchy other than the top level, why is it that each item in this list can have an item belonging to the same list as a child element?

----------

I understand that this cannot be completely forbidden for compatibility reasons.

However, I think that there should be an option to prohibit this.

I don't want to be able to accidentally add a child element in the classic dashboard or New UX that belongs to the same list, even if I don't want to.

For example, if I want to add an item called "Middle-East and Africa" to the top list of the "Regions" hierarchy, I would like to restrict it to being added only to the bottom of "All Regions", not to the bottom of "Americas" or "Europe".

If I were to add "Canada" to the bottom layer of "Americas", I would create a list called "Country" and add it to this list.

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/Option-to-prohibit-adding-child-elements-belonging-to-the-same/idi-p/121642

Best Answers

• @HideakiAnnaka 

Can you please post a picture of the general lists in model settings showing the parent and top level set up for the list?

My first thoughts are when setting up the form do not prompt the user to select a parent. If there is no parent hierarchy then the new list item will simply be added to the list alongside the others.

• Hi @HideakiAnnaka 

Anaplan lets you create unbalanced lists as well and this select parent functionality can be used when you are using a single list as a hierarchy. Check here 

When you create a form, you have the ability to restrict the parent selection. Maybe try doing that. Here is an example: 

Edit your form and turn off "Allow user to choose parent". This would then ask you to select a default parent. Select your top level as the default parent and you are good to go. 

ankit_cheeni_1-1636455464103.png

Doing this will not ask for a parent when you create a new list item

ankit_cheeni_2-1636455513938.png

Answers

• I remember that there used to be a bug where, when you created a form that didn't allow you to specify a parent, the title of the selected row was considered to be the specified parent.
    However, I am currently unable to reproduce such a bug, so it may be that my previous testing methods or memory is faulty.
    I have found that the solution is to not allow the parent to be specified when creating the form.

01 General Lists.png

02 G1 Region.png

03 G2 Country.png

  

• Thanks to you I have learnt that there are balanced and unbalanced hierarchies and that there is a parent-child hierarchy with a single list and a composite hierarchy with several individual lists.