Circular Reference Issue

Hi Guys,

I need help in figuring out a workaround for Circular Reference. I recreated the modules the best I can and I hope its enough to understand. 

See below:

This is the driver module and this is already working fine in Anaplan. Lets say Row 1 and Row 2 and then Time Dimension.

Jsdeloria21_0-1581409802796.png

This is the countif module, this also working fine in Anaplan.

Jsdeloria21_1-1581409855628.png

This is the Target Module. This is where the Circular reference is appearing. 

Jsdeloria21_2-1581409930906.png

The formula here is IF Driver Module Row 1<=0 THEN Countif Module ELSE Countif  Row 1+ Driver Module Row 2

the logic here is when Driver Module Row 1 is valued at 0 then it should capture Countif Module Row 1 and if Driver Module Row 1 is more than 0 then it should capture Driver Module Row 2. This part of the formula has no problem IF Driver Module Row 1<=0 THEN Countif Module ELSE Countif  Row 1 but when I add + Driver Module Row 2 in the formula that is where the circular reference comes up.

Any idea? Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Best Answer

• It may help to split out the IF statement, it will definitely help reduce calculations as there are some repeated functions.

IF 'Row 7' < '(M) Actuals - Details (V)'.'SALES VELOCITY/MO. (NET)' THEN 0 ELSE D

where:
    A = CUMULATE('(M) Actual Monthly - OPStat (V)'.'(B& FP) Units')
    B = CUMULATE('(M) Actual Monthly - OPStat (V)'.'(R& w/ DP) Units')
    C = A + B
    D = IF C < '(M) Actuals - Details (V)'.'TOTAL NO. OF UNITS' THEN '(M) Actuals - Details (V)'.'SALES VELOCITY/MO. (NET)' ELSE '(M) Actuals - Details (V)'.'TOTAL NO. OF UNITS' - C

Answers

• Hi @Jsdeloria21 

Could you post the formulas you are using in your driver and countif module too? is there a dependency between these modules? 

• Hi @Jsdeloria21 

Would it not be better to make the selection logic of which line item to use in the source module and then point to that.

I believe this would resolve the circular reference error if i'm understanding this correctly?

Thanks,

Usman

• Hi,

Appreciate your response. Here is the formula from the Drivers module.

Row 1 in the example.

'Row 6' * '(M) Actuals - Details (V)'.'SALES VELOCITY/MO. (NET)'

Row 6 is in the same module which results to a sequential number (1,2...55).

'(M) Actuals - Details (V)'.'SALES VELOCITY/MO. (NET)' - Is part of the assumption module which is inputted (Constant value 5).\\

Row 2 in the example

IF 'Row 7' < '(M) Actuals - Details (V)'.'SALES VELOCITY/MO. (NET)' THEN 0 ELSE IF CUMULATE('(M) Actual Monthly - OPStat (V)'.'(B& FP) Units') + CUMULATE('(M) Actual Monthly - OPStat (V)'.'(R& w/ DP) Units') < '(M) Actuals - Details (V)'.'TOTAL NO. OF UNITS' THEN '(M) Actuals - Details (V)'.'SALES VELOCITY/MO. (NET)' ELSE '(M) Actuals - Details (V)'.'TOTAL NO. OF UNITS' - (CUMULATE('(M) Actual Monthly - OPStat (V)'.'(B& FP) Units') + CUMULATE('(M) Actual Monthly - OPStat (V)'.'(R& w/ DP) Units'))

It basically adds the cumulative value of two line items in the FS report from Jan 13 to a specific date base on the drivers module. total number of units is 448 which is a formula.

Countif Module

IF '(M) Actual Monthly - Drivers (V)'.'Row 7' <= 0 THEN '(M) Actual GENCOM - (V)'.'Count Resi (Res,DP)'[SUM: 'Driver Module - Gencon (V)'.Period RS] ELSE '(M) Actual GENCOM - (V)'.'Count Resi (Res,DP)'[SUM: 'Driver Module - Gencon (V)'.Period RS]

(M) Actual GENCOM - (V)'.'Count Resi (Res,DP)'[SUM: 'Driver Module - Gencon (V)'.Period RS] = Is the formula to count units from the source module depending on the date (Driver Module - Gencon (V)'.Period RS).

Regards,