Register

Comment into a cell

cathyliGL
New Contributor

Comment into a cell

This question is specifically on capability to enter comments directly in a cell. The user case would be budget Vs actual variance report where i want to see commentary for a specific line. I have been told that this isn't possible , as we can only enter comments in the page/grid which is not specifically linked to a cell

anyone know a workaround?

5 REPLIES 5
filip.sypniewski
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Re: Comment into a cell

Hi @cathyliGL,

indeed, it is not possible to enter a comment directly in a cell. 

This really depends on your case, but the most typical solution would be to use text-formatted line item as a comment. Simple example below:

comment.PNG

ChrisHeathcote
Community Boss

@cathyliGL 

This approach would be the simplest if you P&L is a list and not line items. 

My suggestion in creating an output where you convert you line items into a line item subset is one way of converting your line items into a list so that you can follow this approach as suggested by @filip.sypniewski .

Either way the challenge is allowing the module to contain both numerical and text formatted data against the same intersection of dimensions. 

Chris Heathcote
Bedford Consulting

Gold Partner and Regional Partner of the Year 2021, EMEA
cathyliGL
New Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion!
cathyliGL
New Contributor

thank you!
ChrisHeathcote
Community Boss

@cathyliGL 

How about creating a list called Comments with a single list item. 

Create a new module and add all relevant dimensions that are present in the variance report along with a line item subset for the source module.

Add a single line item called, 'Comments.' 

Publish this to a page using a field card.

The card should be synchronised to the variance report and show the relevant comment when the user selects a line item in the report.

If you need to publish a report with the contents use the line item subset and the dimensions along with a line item for the values and one for the comment. Simply reference each module to combine them in a single output.

Chris Heathcote
Bedford Consulting

Gold Partner and Regional Partner of the Year 2021, EMEA