Conditional Formatting for Dot Chart items?

Hi, I have this salary dataset which I want to display in a dot chart according to the Grades and Performance Rating.

peggytham_0-1639637461308.png

I transposed this module to add the Grade and Performance Rating dimensions so I can display on the chart.

I have a line item "CF Rating" to be used for the conditional formatting. "Salary Display" line item is just so that the zeros don't appear on the chart.

peggytham_1-1639637540859.png

What I managed to get for the dot chart now looks like this:

peggytham_3-1639637672524.png

Each dot represents each Employee salary. The Employee also repeats in every grade dimension but it is not a problem as I can just hide the legend. Expected user behaviour would be that they can hover over each dot to see the Employee Name, Salary Amount and Performance Rating.

However, I want to colour each dot according to the Performance Rating of the Employee as set up in the module. i.e. Red for Low, Yellow for Performing, Green for Outstanding. Is this possible? I know it is possible in Tableau but would like to find out if there is a way to do it in Anaplan.

Happy to know if there is a better way of doing this and thanks in advance!

Thanks,

Peggy

Answers

• @peggytham 

I don't think you would be able to add those attributes on to the chart. Atleast I have not seen such functionality within Anaplan. It surely is available in Tableau.

Misbah

Miz Logix

• Thanks Misbah for the quick response! That's a pity that we can't do it in Anaplan yet... Perhaps an idea for future roadmap 🙂
  • Hi @peggytham ,

How about using a Scatter plot, instead?

Convert 'Grade list item' and 'Performance Rating' to number format and plot them like below.

Scattergrid.png

The scatter plot allows conditional formatting!

https://help.anaplan.com/5f30056b-80b8-42c6-839d-a8fc0521f290-Scatter-plot-and-Bubble-chart

Thus, you could draw a graph below.

Scatterplottest.png

I hope this helps,

Taichi

• Thanks Taichi for this idea! I thought about it too but it might be confusing for users as they won't be able to understand what is the Grade number straightaway. But worth a shot to test it out. Thank you for the suggestion!
  • Hi - did you post this to idea exchange? I am on a similar boat and would love the conditional formatting for dot charts or some advanced feature to be able to get this type of chart in Anaplan.
  • Hi I did not! Taichi's suggestion worked for my users so I went ahead with it. You can post it on idea exchange and I'll kudo it for sure!