Convert list to text

Is there a function to change a list value to a text? I want to use the & operator with list values, but it only accepts text. When I try just using the list-formatted line items, I get the error below, so it seems that if I could convert the list selection into text then I'd be fine: The 'text1' argument for the '&' function should have datatype of TEXT not LIST:ILT Offerings:text1 & text2

Best Answer

Answers

• Hello,

Question

I am trying to retrieve the display name from a numbered list and then convert it to text (i.e., keep my new line item as a Text Field).

Do you, or does anyone, know how to accomplish this?

Additional Context

• My numbered list is comprised of employee IDs
    • The Display names are the actual employee names. This is what I need appearing in a module where I am creating a text field.

Many thanks,

Chad

• @Chmacpherson 

Question, why are you wanting a text field when Text is less performant than a list formatted line item?  Based on what you are stating, the Display Name is list formatted (which is the correct way of doing this) and I assume it is linked to an Employee Flat list of some kind.  If that is the case, I would also assume the Employee Flat Display Name is text formatted.  So, the formula would be:

employee Flat.Display Name[lookup: this list.Display Name] where "this list" is the list with a display name that is list formatted.

But again, try to stay away from Text.

Hope this helps,

Rob

• Hey Rob,

Thank you for your speedy reply and apologies for my delay.

You raise a great point. I was heading down an unrealistic path, so this point helped me reframe what the issue was and approach it from a different angle.

Many thanks,

Chad