Days() Function

Hello everyone,

The below screenshot is from one of the mini videos of Anaplan.
image.png

How can one adjust the "Summary Settings" to get the number of days in a quarter or a year?
I know of 2 ways to return the number of days in a quarter or a year when using the Days() function:

1. To change the time scale for either a quarter or a year. (this will create a subsidiary view)
  2. To explicitly add the period as a parameter to the Days() function such as DAYS(Current Quarter)/DAYS(Current Year)

Can someone please explain to me how to use the Summary setting to get the number of days in a quarter or a year? 

Thanks

Best Answer

• jasonblinn
    Answer ✓

My understanding is that it was a way of saying that the summary methods work with this formula.

You can have a month time scale and still use the SUM or FORMULA summary method to calculate the number of days in Quarter or Year, etc.

jasonblinn_0-1591723393207.png

jasonblinn_1-1591723475944.png

Jason

Answers

• @einas.ibrahim 

I think you're right. One way is to change the time period.

But honestly, to get the day count I would create a system module for each of the periods needed. Calculate once.

Creating subsidiaries isn't very PLANS friendly, although I don't think it impacts performance.

• Thanks @jasonblinn 

The way you presented would certainly get us the days in a quarter and days in a year albeit not as a separate line item

I’m a stickler for accuracy of words. so when it says “adjust the summary method” it seemed to me as saying if you change the summary from X to Y then the formula will return the number of days in a quarter for example, which I know it’s not accurate. 

• Hey @JaredDolich 

You know, I just recently noticed that we create a different time system module for different time scales (weeks, months, year).

I have always seen one Time Filter module for all time related settings. 

I believe the Function model is designed this way as well as the “old” Time Filter model.

I believe it’s because of your point of avoiding subsidiary views for best practice. 
    I understand the importance of not overusing subsidiary views but I’m yet to find it very relevant when creating a times filter module. Having all the time settings in one module is still attractive to me. I’m sure I’ll adopt to the new methods at some point soon. 

• @einas.ibrahim 

It is cleaner and easier to maintain if they are in separate modules.  If you need the filter for quarters, you go to SYS Time Filter - QTRS, if you need one for Years, you go to SYS Time Filter - Year, etc.  There is no performance or space savings doing it either way.

Rob