Decimal Format Issue

Hi All,

I am facing a strange issue in Anaplan. Hoping someone can help me with this.

I have a calculated % field called 'Calc %'

The formal this field is set to 2 decimal points and percentage.

I have another input field 'Input %'

The formal this field is set to 2 decimal points and percentage

This field is used to copy the value from 'Calc %' and add a minus sign to get a negative value of the 'Calc %'

When the user copies the value and pastes it the system copies the exact value but as soon as they add the negative sign the system truncates the decimals.

Please see the attached files

Answers

• @BahalR ,

Maybe it is just me, but from those pictures, it is very hard to tell which field is which.  Can you maybe show a bit more as well as show us the formula for Calc %?

Rob

• I might be misunderstanding your question, but it seems like you have the format set to show 2 decimals. Then when the number is pasted into the cell then it trims it to 11.72% which is showing the 2 decimals that you have in the format. If you don't want it to round to 2 decimals, then set it to something besides 2 decimals. Anaplan will keep the full value that is entered, but in your format, this is how you have it defined. So your calculations based on that number would still be correct. 

• Hi @BahalR 

I tried to replicate the issue but it works fine here. The user is copying a decimal value such as 0.1234 from excel and pasting it into a 0.00% format line item and then adding the -ve correct?

Why don't you have Anaplan convert the input number to -ve instead of asking the user to do it manually?

Line item 2 = - Line Item 1

Also, could you share your number format screen, maybe there is something there?

• Hi @BahalR 

Might be i am wrong in understanding the issue, but what i understood is that the user copy the value from the calculated field in Anaplan and paste in another line item which is manual input and edit it to add a negative sign. 

So probable user click F2 or Double Click to edit than there is a issue with Anaplan that it truncates two decimal points by its own. 

For Eg :- Value copied from Calculated Cell is 12.34% and when you will copy paste this in Input Cell directly it will go fine as 12.34%. 

But moment you press F2 or Double click and add "-" negative sign to it and press enter it will take as -1234.00%.

If this was the issue than the only option is to train the user to Manage decimal when editing percentage values or you create a line item and add "-"Calculates Field and ask the user to copy paste directly from this line item.

Thanks,

Nakul

• Hi @einas.ibrahim 

Thanks for looking into this. 

The user is not copying the value from excel instead from another field in Anaplan. Also, we cannot automate the -ve sign since they sometimes will need to use the filed as a positive number as well.

e.g. Calculated filed value = 4.41966250917% (Displays as 4.42% on the dashboard)

When I copy this value in the input field and add a -ve sign the value become -4.42000000000 ((Displays as 4.42% on the dashboard)

So while on the dashboard both appear to be same the backend value is different and even though the difference is really small it messes up our final calculations that use these % fields as inputs.

Hope this explains a little better.

• Hi @rob_marshall 

Here is a better explanation hopefully! 

Calculated filed value = 4.41966250917% (Displays as 4.42% on the dashboard)

When I copy this value in the input field and add a -ve sign the value become -4.42000000000 ((Displays as 4.42% on the dashboard)

So while on the dashboard both appear to be same the backend value is different and even though the difference is really small it messes up our final calculations that use these % fields as.

• @BahalR ,

Have you thought about using ROUND(Input, 2, NEAREST, EXACT)?

2020-06-26_15-03-49.png2020-06-26_15-04-11.png