Dependent Dropdown Issue

Hi,

I have built a dependent dropdown but its not functioning properly.

I have a hierarchy which follows the certain order: Entity>Segment>Product

Below is my segment hierarchy

nildutta_1-1622636221532.png

Below are my line items which are list formatted

nildutta_3-1622636458406.png

When I am selecting the top level of Entity, my segment dropdown is showing entity list and on selecting one entity from the list, its giving an error. Infact it should show that there are no items in the list

nildutta_0-1622635939868.png

nildutta_2-1622636371351.png

Is there a way where my segment list gets locked or shows no items when I am selecting the top level of entity?

Answers

• @NilanjanDutta 

When formatting the line item as a list you can check it as dependent.

You can then base the dependence on the value of another line item which is formatted as the parent list.

ChrisHeathcote_0-1622638908012.png

• The logic doesnt stack up if you select the top level.

This is because the top level is technically the apex of the hierarchy and parent of the top level and therefore the line item at the next level down is not able to assign any possible values. 

Therefore, by default you should not be able to make any further selection from the other line items. 

• Hi @NilanjanDutta ,

You can achieve this via a workaround (albeit not-so-elegant, as it will require some maintenance)

1. A new list is to be created which would hold the concatenated elements from Entity & Segment lists, with Entity and Segment as properties, as shown:

Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 6.56.02 PM.png

2. Use these properties to drive the dependence as shown:

Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 6.58.57 PM.png

3. This will result in the following:

Top level selected:

Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 6.39.02 PM.png

Valid Selections

Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 6.39.17 PM.png

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Vinay

• Hi @Vinay VaradarajM I have created a 3rd list for creating mapping to use as dependent dropdown. but if the code or name of the item which is not in the dependent dropdown is copied and pasted into the cell it is getting added into the cell when it shouldn't. Any thoughts why it is happening?