Dependent dropdown

AvnishGoel
Occasional Contributor

Dependent dropdown

I have one dimension "Employee" and want to assign two products A and B. Product A and Product B are two line items formatted as Product List. 

It is perfectly fine if employee is assigned the first product however, when the employee is assigned product B, then product A should not be visible in the dropdown as the employee has already been assigned. 

Employee   Product A      Product B

John           Screws          Nuts

When John is being assigned Nuts then Screws should not be visible in the drop down. 

Seems like a simple situation but I am struggling to make the logic.

Avnish Goel
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JoeAnderson
Certified Master Anaplanner

Re: Dependent dropdown

I simple solution I've used in similar cases, or where you want inputs to be mutually exclusive (such as a series of Boolean inputs driving a calculation) is to use conditional formatting.

Line item: Error format

IF Product A = Product B then 10 else 0

That way you can flag it as red or some other color to indicate an input error. Not completely error proof, but quick and simple.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
klon2001cr
New Contributor

Try using dynamic cell access approach. When a user selects a value from Product B, then, the Boolean (you could use this name for line item: "Activate Product A") will become false, else true. Now, for Product A line Item, set Read access driver and Write access driver to use "Activate Product A" value.

This should work. 🙂 

klon2001cr
New Contributor

klon2001cr_0-1582062557157.png

Already implemented and it is working. Let me know if it works for you too. 

AvnishGoel
Occasional Contributor

I guess, No. In your example, in the drop down for chosing Product A, against Chocolates, Nutzo bar should not be visible in the drop down ..
Avnish Goel
naushad786
Frequent Contributor

Hi @AvnishGoel ,

You can create "Assign" action through which you can do that. Please see the below the screenshots. As you can see that Product A is assigned to John. When you will click again in "Assign Product to Customer " action. you will be able to assign Product B only. 

naushad786_0-1582095332373.png

naushad786_1-1582095371544.png

Hope, It will help you.

Thanks,

Naushad

JoeAnderson
Certified Master Anaplanner

I simple solution I've used in similar cases, or where you want inputs to be mutually exclusive (such as a series of Boolean inputs driving a calculation) is to use conditional formatting.

Line item: Error format

IF Product A = Product B then 10 else 0

That way you can flag it as red or some other color to indicate an input error. Not completely error proof, but quick and simple.

View solution in original post

klon2001cr
New Contributor

I was thinking on the same, usually I use the same. Thank you!