Error message: Cannot breakback

Hi all,

I have a dashboard for forecasting and I want to allow users to copy from one quarter to another quarter, using breakback (at a quarter level instead of monthly level).  For some reason, whenever I try to copy values from one quarter and try to paste them into another quarter, I am getting this message:

Cannot breakback: a cell is constrained by more than one hold such that an unambiguous result cannot be obtained

I've tried many things and can't seem to find the reason.  I think I have it narrowed down to a combination of accounts (could be a coincidence).  

For example:

My account structure looks something like this:

Total Salary before Merit Increase (has 31 child accounts)

Merit Increase Account (not a parent, just an account)

Total Salary Subject to Fringe (parent of the above members)

If I try to copy-paste at the Total Salary Subject to Fringe level, I get the error message

If I try to copy-paste at the Total Salary before Merit Increase level, I do NOT get the error message

If I try to copy-paste at the Merit Increase Account level, I do NOT get the error message

I've tried different combinations of copying and pasting at the Total Salary before Merit Increase level, including copying the parents and children.  It SEEMS to error out when I try to copy 25 accounts and the Merit account.  If I try with just 24 accounts including the Merit Account, no error, but if I try with 25 accounts including the Merit Account, I get the error.  I've tried with different combinations of accounts.

I don't have any restrictions on the Merit Account.  I'm not sure why the number of accounts would make a difference.   

Anyone seen a similar issue?

Answers

• @OSUBlakester 

Interesting challenge. 

This is a bit of longshot but here's an idea:

Are any of the breakback cells gray? This would indicate a "hold".

One thing you might try is right mouse clicking on the line item or cell and "release all".

Then try  your cut/paste again.

Another idea:

Make sure you saved view is appropriately set. You might even try taking all filters and other formats off temporarily like "show only". The combination of filters might be causing the breakback error you're getting.