Export Action Mapping Basis

Sorry, couldn't find a official answer to this, and I've had different interpretations on how this worked over time, but just wanted a definitive answer:

For export actions that you intend to repeat, what is the "official" way that the Export action is defined, relative to the module you are exporting from?

We all know that import actions can be mapped to saved views, and any time that saved view is changed, the import action updates along with it.  Need to add a line item or update a filter related to an import?  Just do that and update the saved view, and you're good.  The saved view is a good reference point / validation check for what will actually pass through.

As I understand it, that is NOT the case with Exports.

With that in mind, just wanted clarification on what "exactly" an export action maps to?  Is it:

• the default module view?
  • the module filter/line items shown, at the time of your export?
  • and if the former, how do you designate whether new line items appear in the export action?
    • (I assume it's to use the "show" command one your line items, to prevent new line items from appearing, but I've had some weirdness in these scenarios and wanted to confirm)

I've generally had to lock down export definitions tightly, due to dependent source systems.  But getting more cases where people want to append line items to pre-defined, repeating exports.

Thanks!

Answers

• A saved grid export encapsulates a view definition in the same way that a saved view does; any changes to a module default or saved view that was used when creating the export do not automatically flow into saved exports, although the export view will adapt to structural changes to the module as any other view would.

• I see, so the export "acts" like creating a new saved view.

So when you want to change one of the foundational parameters of the "Export Saved View" (ie add an additional filter, show columns that were originally hidden, re-pivot the module), is the only option to recreate the export?

• Yes, unless you add that filter to a filter line item that was already used. => this might be a bit to abstract.

For example:

Month                   product                  amount             filter (amount>0)

Jan                       laptop                       5                         true

Jan                       iphone                      0                         false

Jan                       laptop                       6                         true

Jan                       iphone                      2                         true

is the original view on which you created the export. Filter on true.

Adjusting the formula of the filter would "update" your export automatically. For example: only true for values bigger than 0 and the current month.

All the best,