FINDITEM A PARENTCh

Dear all,

Can you please help me on this:

assuming i have these lists:

List 1: flat file

List 2: Parent of List 3

List 3: Child of List 2

I created Module 1 with List 1 as dimension, of which i mapped List 2 as its parent in the module.

is there a way i can FINDITEM the parent of List 3 in Module 1, using the text code of List 2 identified in Module 1?

I needed this so i can pull some data that is using List 3 to List 1 with their common denominator, which is List 2.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks,

Elaine

Answers

• Hi @elaine.novel ,

you can create system module with flat list which is child list and create line items. like below.

naushad786_0-1588228251035.png

In the below Module, I have formatted Country Line Item as Child List not Flat List.

naushad786_1-1588228270691.png

Hope it will help you.

Thanks,

Naushad

• Hello Naushad, 

it wasn't like that. List 1 is flat file, of which, i mapped List 2 as its parent in a module..

List 2 is the parent of List 3..the only common denominator is List 3 and List 1 is List 2.. 

What I actually need is to be able to sum up List 1 in a module, which dimension is list 3, using its common List 2 as parent to List 3 in a hierarchy..and mapped parent in L1 in a module.

I hope I clarified my requirement.

Thanks again, 

Elaine

• Hi @elaine.novel ,

As per Requirement,  you have to create one more line tem formatted as List 3 in Module 1 which is dimensioned by List 1 Flat list.

In other module 2 Which is dimensioned by List 3. you have to sum up data for List 1 which is in Module 1.

naushad786_0-1588232767216.pngnaushad786_1-1588232789069.png

See if it looks good according to your requirement or Please share the screenshots.

Thanks,

Naushad

• Hi Naushad, 

It cannot be as well.. L3 is multiple..

• just check whether My understanding is correct . 

Assuming, List 3 is lineitem formatted as List 3

create one more lineitem List 2 format as List 2 and write parent(List 3 lineitem). 

now, Finditem(List 1, Name(List 2 lineitem).

Thanks

• @elaine.novel ,

Need few clarifications based on your question,

Let me assume, you have a flat list named L1 which is mapped to list L2 in a module say module_1 as list formatted line item.

Similarly, you have list L3 which has a parent as List L2

Now you need to identify the parent L2 of L3 list in module_1 which is dimensioned by list L1.

do we have any line item in module_1 as an L3 list or L3 list as text format? if so, you can get an L3 parent in Module_1 else no.

It would be great if you share some of the mockup screens of what you trying to achieve.

Thanks,

Sandeep

• @elaine.novel 

There is a lot of ambiguity in your statements - Kindly put your requirements clean and clarify below statements

1. "I created Module 1 with List 1 as dimension, of which i mapped List 2 as its parent in the module" - How are you making List 2 as a parent in the module? Do you mean to say that you created a mapping between List 1 and List 2? And If yes, Is that mapping in text format or List Format

2. "Is there a way i can FINDITEM the parent of List 3 in Module 1, using the text code of List 2 identified in Module 1?" - What is List 3 doing in Module 1, why the need to bring List 3 here? Do you mean to say that you want to find out what is the parent of Text formatted List 2 line item which you mapped in Step 1.

• Hi Misbah.. 

How are you making List 2 as a parent in the module? Do you mean to say that you created a mapping between List 1 and List 2? And If yes, Is that mapping in text format or List Format - In List 1, a line item was created to map it to List 2. so not parent per se but some sort of parenting but not as hierarchy but as mapping.

What is List 3 doing in Module 1, why the need to bring List 3 here? Do you mean to say that you want to find out what is the parent of Text formatted List 2 line item which you mapped in Step 1. - List 3 is actually my problem module..they are different list.

Since L1 is multiple. I think there is no way to look up L1 in L3 using L2 as common factor. The requirement would have been to look up L1 in the L3 module using L2. but i think this will only work if L2 and L1 is 1 is to 1 list. 

Thanks, Elaine

• @elaine.novel 

Yes you are right. If you have one to many mappings in Flat list you can't flip the mapping. So LOOKUPs cant be used here. However SUM can be used if you are dealing with the numbers but if you just want mapping just ignore the below part-

This is what we know -You have L3 as a dimension in Module 3, Module 1 has a mapping between List 1 and List 2

So instead of LOOKUP use SUM because ultimately you are Summing the values based on L3 mapping of which comes from Flat L1 Module

Step 1 - Create a List 2 Formatted Line item and use FINDITEM('List 2', Text List 2 Line Item)

Step 2 - Create a Parent Line item in Module 1 and use PArent (Line item 1 in step 1)

Step 3 - In Module 3 - Use SUM to aggregate the values and the formula should be

Amount[SUM:Module 1.Parent in Step 2)

• Ok Misbah, 

Appreciate your response. 

thanks, 

Elaine