Filtering non-numeric line items

Hello,

I have read the below articles on how to filter line items using a Line Item Subset. This currently works great for my use case, except I also need to filter and include non-numeric line items like booleans.

The below article runs into the limitation of only being able to filter numeric line items via Line Item Subset. Has anyone discovered a workaround to this? The use case is I want to also include an override checkbox to be displayed however the LISS filter hides it. The only other method I could think of was converting the Override checkbox to numeric using 1 or 0. 

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have already upvoted the ideas exchange post, but seeking additional help if anyone has uncovered a workaround.

Thanks,

Daanish

Articles I have researched already:

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Anaplan-Platform/How-to-filter-line-items/td-p/7727

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Anaplan-Platform/Filter-Line-Item-in-Module-view-based-on-another-Line-Item/td-p/30629

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/Allow-for-line-item-subset-to-be-more-than-just-number-formatted/idi-p/34484 

Best Answers

• @DaanishSoomar 

I feel your pain. The issue is that non numerical line items are not compatible with the COLLECT() function as this aggregates only numerical line items. 

Therefore, have you considered splitting out your inputs into separate modules and using lists instead of line items for those non numerical items. 

Create a master list which will be used to tie everything together such as view 1, view 2 etc. 

Create a module for each format type and include this master list as a dimension. 

Create a filter module for each master list combination and configure each view using a boolean.

Publish the grids to a board, remove the master list from the page context selectors and publish a field card.

Use the field card to drive the filters each each grid card. 

This is a high level summary but I think this would work.

Good luck,

• AntonMineev
    Answer ✓

By the way, I have one way to solve it. I do not like it (especially since it is badly transferred to UX), but maybe it will be useful to you. You can display two (or more) tables side by side. In the first there will be Numbered Line Items with a filter, in the second table there will be other Line Items (text, boolean). In this case, the minimum size of the row width (Width for Row Labels) is set for the second table. The main disadvantages of this approach are:

1. All LI are grouped: numbers separate from logical and text.
    2. It is required to duplicate the settings of other filters on two tables.
    3. Efforts should be made to avoid scrolling differences between the two tables.
    4. If the user applies his filters to one of the tables, the logic will be broken.

Answers

• @DaanishSoomar 

Using 1's and 0's is the way i have accomplished this in the past:

2021-04-05_16-56-19.png2021-04-05_16-56-45.png2021-04-05_16-57-04.png

• Hi @rob_marshall!

I think @DaanishSoomar have some different problem. I understand, because I have similar problem too 🙂

This is about problem, when we have module and dashboard for input data.

Simle exemple: 

LI 1: Amount

LI 2: MoM

LI 3: MoM, %

LI 4: Text Notes

LI 5: Boolean check

Usually we can have many LIs with different VA calculation and we want filtered it. Because this is LI we need use LIS, but we can't include boolean and text Line Items in it.

As a result, I can't make a filter where the user would select the desired types of comparisons and at the same time text LI doesn't hide.

At the same time, there is no way to translate the data into a reference book, because we need different types of data (workarounds using text instead of numbers are too suboptimal in system speed).

Снимок экрана 2021-04-06 в 08.52.38.png

• Thanks for the insight @rob_marshall that line of thinking is the path I originally started down. However, as @AntonMineev mentioned the issue is a bit different and he has a good way of describing the issue.

• Hey @ChrisAHeathcote,

Yeah the only other idea that came to mind was substituting the line items and converting them to a list. Thanks for the detailed steps, I will try this out. 

This is the only workaround I have found that actually achieves what I am looking for I believe. This is quite the journey to go down for simple display purposes, but I think for the customer we are with, it will be worth it to them. Very much appreciated! 

• Thanks @AntonMineev,

Appreciate the insight and for the solution, I will take what I can get at this juncture. I'm afraid any solutions proposed will not be pretty, clean, or easy. So I'm all ears to any ideas anyone else has as well, even if the solution doesn't follow best practice per say.

This solution may work, as you said, it may not be ideal but it certainly achieves what we are looking for.