Format Line Item as Versions

I am trying to use a lookup based on month to return versions. We have 12 versions one for each month in the current year. I was thinking I would create a mapping table with months as a dimension and format a line item as version to use a lookup. Is it possible to format a line item as versions. If not, any other workarounds would be appreciated. Thank you, Mark

Answers

• [quote]Mark PeckI am trying to use a lookup based on month to return versions. We have 12 versions one for each month in the current year.

I was thinking I would create a mapping table with months as a dimension and format a line item as version to use a lookup.

Is it possible to format a line item as versions. If not, any other workarounds would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Mark[/quote]Hi Mark

I dont think its possible to use line items as versions formatted and use for lookup,

Try this:

1) Make a module with Versions as rows
    2) Make a line item which is list formatted and list would be time
    3) For each version select the applicable time
    4) Use this module as lookup module.
  • I was going down that path.

What would be your formula to look up the version since you can't set it to a line item?

Mark
  • Hi Mark

Once you link the versions for the respective months

1) Make sure your module has version dimension
    2) Write a lookup to version like =formula[Lookup: Module.Lineitem]
    3) Module is the module where you have the mapping maintained versions being the row members
    4) with time being the list formatted member
    5) Based on this mapping it would just take the versions belonging to that period

This is the logic but i did not get business scenario for the same as irrespective of the forecast you are going to use the version values would be picked up as per the mapping and this does not make sense.
  • Hi Mark,
    Harish proposal will work.

You may also wish to try a solution based on the following alternative:
    create a module with versions, time, and one line Item "use version for this month" which is boolean.

Use this Selection module where it may be usefull in other module,, by testing If Use version for ths month then....".

I would not recommend this alternative if you can use Harish proposal (which is much more in the Anaplan spirit), but is some case the Boolean testing is quick and easy to implement. Not really nice neither smart, a little dirty in fact, but it can be efficient in some business cases.

Kind regards.
    Michel.