Formula help on finding a % of a Calculated LI

Options
neg177
edited December 2022 in Modeling

Hi, 

I'm trying to create a formula where it will create a % based on taking my States List parent by each individual state. 

The formula I have so far is Total Collections / Total Collections[SELECT: State.North America] . I feel like this is correct but my percentages are not looking right. Please advise. 

want to take this amount 

neg177_0-1669147200190.png

and divide it by the total States List amount 

neg177_1-1669147272112.png

Thank you 

Answers

• ShubhamCh
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi @neg177 

The formula is incorrect because it is only referring to North America total, which becomes wrong when the parent is other than NA.

Right approach would be

• Total Collections/ Total Collections[Lookup:SYS Module.Parent]

I assume you have one SYS module for your child states where you've defined parents. If that's not the case, add one line item - "Parent" (Parent List Formatted), formula - Parent(Item(your current child state list name)) 

Use this line item as your lookup mapping.

It'll calculate as you want it to.

Thanks!

-Shubham

• neg177
    edited December 2022
    Options

I'm not quit sure if I'm doing what you said correctly. Can you please check? 

The formula for the Total Collections % doesnt work. 

neg177_0-1669671932867.png

Thank you 

• andrewtye
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi @neg177 

Not sure if this is still hanging about but couple of things.

1. Don't use "SELECT:" when referencing list items (unless this happens to be the very top-level of it), best practice is to have a look-up module and reference that as @ShubhamCh points out.

2. The summary setting for this should be formula - now using lookup and formula clearly won't work so you'll need in intermediate line item that pulls back the relevant number using that parent line to look-up against (which btw should be in a property module - again best practice)

Hope that helps!