Hide/Filter Blank Row in my Moudle

Is there a way i can hide/filter those numbered lists in between that has no data.

In the screenshot below, i need to hide numbered list #2, #4 and #5. 

tompatrickting_0-1583647136371.png

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• JaredDolich
    Answer ✓

@tompatrick.ting 

Here's an example of what you're looking for.

Module has some list items in the middle that are blank, some at the end that are blank.

To make this really hard, let's assume the worst. The list items in the middle have an index higher than the last non-blank.

Here's our list module. Note the last line item has the correct Boolean filter!

The ones in the middle are unchecked. The ones at the end are checked.

Also, the blueprint if you want some formula ideas.

NonBlank007.pngNonBlank008.png

• JaredDolich
    Answer ✓

@tompatrick.ting 

Try changing your "Non Blank Rank" formula to this:

IF Is Non Blank? THEN RANK(New Order, ASCENDING, SEQUENTIAL, TRUE, Group By) ELSE 1

The problem is that your blank count is exceeding your non-blank count so the max rank is too high.

The change in the formula will force the blanks to be a 1 so it can never exceed the non-blanks.

As you can see, the change works:

Occasions002.png

Answers

• Hi @tompatrick.ting 

Add one filter in your module on list dimension " Is not blank". it will filter only that rows which having value.

Screenshot_121.png

Screenshot_122.png

Screenshot_123.png

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Akhtar

• Thanks Akhtar replying to this.

In my screen shot, i only need to hide row #2, #4 and #5. 

Other rows that are blank should still show up, row# 7 to row#10.

• @tompatrick.ting 

I really like @Akhtar.shahbaz idea. Definitely the most expeditious way to filter that list.

In addition, if you need to see the numbered list filtered in a module but be able to reuse the filter and not recalculate, you can create what's called a system module first.

This is the preferred method for long term development using the DISCO methodology.

In the system module you will create a filter similar to the one described by @Akhtar.shahbaz

Then when you build the filter in your module you will refer to the system module.

Here's an example.

Say we have a list with empty list items.

NonBlank001.png

Then create a system module that uses the list as its only dimension.

Create the line items using dependent calculations (serial) to support the PLANS methodology (keep it simple and easy to read)

NonBlank002.png

The last line item finally calculates our Boolean and is used as a filter in subsequent modules.

Since you calculated the value here it can be reused and not be recalculated every time for every list item.

NonBlank003.png

Here's a report module that uses this list and has time as another dimension.

Applying the filter directly to this module means it will be for every single cell.

If instead you use the system module as the filter, it only calculates once and is more efficient.

Here's our report module:

NonBlank004.png

Let's apply the filter from our system module:

NonBlank005.png

We get the desired result.

NonBlank006.png

• Hi Jared,

I only need to hide those list that are blank in between. 

In the screen shot attached, i only need to hide row #2, #4 and #5. 

Other rows that are blank should still show up, row# 7 to row#10.

Thanks for your help.

• @tompatrick.ting 

Completely understand.

That's why I recommend using the system module.

You can create a line item that formulates the conditions that you want. I just used a non-blank but  you could make it anything like finding the last non-blank list item and unchecking (through formula) all the blank items that are less than that.

Just convert it to a Boolean so you can efficiently use it in a filter.

• Thanks Jared, this is a great solution.

• Hi @JaredDolich 

Please share the complete formula in the final boolean.

Thanks,

Tom

• @tompatrick.ting 

Sorry about that. Here's the full formula.

Occasions001.png

• Thanks @JaredDolich for replying back. I tried the same module in our test environment but has no luck to make the final boolean show the correct filter. Please help check.

tompatrickting_4-1592323377651.png

tompatrickting_5-1592323408072.png

• Thanks for helping @JaredDolich ! This one works.

• Hi @JaredDolich ,

Just tested the blank in the middle of the list and the Final boolean still has still TRUE value because the Max Rank is higher than the Occasional rank. Please assist.

tompatrickting_0-1592361065760.png

Thanks,

Tom

• @tompatrick.ting 

Ok, I think I've got it this time. Had to change a few formulas and really think about all the permutations.

See if this does the trick.

Here I tested a situation where there are more blanks than non-blanks (I also tested the opposite) and we get their right result.

Occasions003.png

Note the changes to the formulas.

The final Boolean should probably be split into two line items to meet the PLANS methodology but I felt it was easy to understand so I combined it.

There are two conditions:

- If the list item is non-blank then TRUE

- If the list item is after the last non-blank then TRUE.

Occasions004.png

Take note of the summary. Turn them all off except for the blank rank which we need as "MAX".

Also, it's generally not a good idea to have subsidiary views (Max Blank Rank) but again I felt this line item was fine here. You could move that to a separate module.

Occasions005.png