How do I copy and “lock down” a version?

I have all of the manual data entries (as well as imports) completed for a version to show exactly what I want.  How can I lock down this version so that any manual entries from here on out will not have an effect?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• One way to lock down the version is to make a bulk copy of the version.  You can do this following these steps:
    • Go to Settings -> Versions
    • Insert a new version, Name the new version, and select OK
    • Select Bulk Copy
    • Make sure that Versions is selected in the List drop-down menu
    • Make sure that you select your source version (original version) on the left and your target version (the new copy) on the right
    • Set all users to have read access only to this new version (Settings->Users->Roles->Versions)
    Now, when you make a manual input change or import data, this new version will not be affected.  This is a good way to use Bulk Copy to lock down and compare this version against other versions while making adjustments.
    Note: If you want to maintain the original version the way it is and use the new version for changes, just change the original version access to read only instead of the new version, as we did in Step 4.

Answers

• Is there a way that I can lock down part of my actual version? If I change the "edit from" to be later than the start of timescale will my earlier data be retained or will it be deleted?
  • If you change the "edit from" to be later than the start of timescale, your earlier data will be retained and will be set as read-only.  The cells between the "edit from" and "edit to" are determining what is writeable.

For example, if you have your Actuals version "edit from" set to Aug 2015, your module cells for Actuals will be read-only from the beginning of your timescale through the end of July 2015.  After that, beginning in August 2015 until the end of the timescale, the cells will be writeable.
  • This only seems to work if you have every driver/formula linked to a module, if like me you have built the module so the HR data is loaded to a list it seems to not pay any attention to the fact that the prior forecast copy is read only. I have followed the training example and am worried that I have built a model over the last few weeks which wont work. Really would have thought the the prior version option could have a "copy value function". Hope this is not the case!!!
  • We're having the same issue as this - anyone from Anaplan want to chime in on how we can get around this?
  • You would need to pull the employee details/drivers into a module that has versions attached to it and then link the data to other modules from there, rather than the list properties.  That way, you're only using list properties for items that wouldn't change from version to version.  To my understanding, that would be the only way to keep the data from changing in upstream modules for different versions as the source data changed.  You could also potentially maintain a different list of employees for each version, athough I wouldn't advise that due to maintenance requirements to upkeep.

Another option that some people use is to create a different model for each version that they want to keep.  This way the old versions won't ever be affected and you are able to use the "Lock" model function in the Manage Model settings.
  • [quote=Alec Judd]You would need to pull the employee details/drivers into a module that has versions attached to it and then link the data to other modules from there, rather than the list properties.  That way, you're only using list properties for items that wouldn't change from version to version.  To my understanding, that would be the only way to keep the data from changing in upstream modules for different versions as the source data changed.  You could also potentially maintain a different list of employees for each version, athough I wouldn't advise that due to maintenance requirements to upkeep.

Another option that some people use is to create a different model for each version that they want to keep.  This way the old versions won't ever be affected and you are able to use the "Lock" model function in the Manage Model settings.[/quote]I haven't ran into the list problem, which as you explained can be resolved through design, but I do have an issue when I decide to change how a formula works, and it adjusts a prior versions.  
    It would be nice if they made a "paste values" options for versions, so it breaks all the formulas in a specific versions.
    One solution would be by copying specific modules and then deleting a formulas manually, but it would **** up the size of my model. 

I wish the 2nd option you listed was viable.  However again space becomes a concern if you have a model that is several gigs, so you would need to archive.  Then the problem becomes bringing the archive models back and forth to access the info, and not having a enough space. 
  • Hi Alec,

So i only have employees names & IDs on the list and the rest of the employees details are housed in a module. However, this also means that i won't be able to delete employees from the lists as this would affect my "locked down" versions as well. The reason why we need to delete employees is because in draft 1 of our budget, we have put in 400 TBHs; and half of them didn't get approve. We were hoping to be able to delete those obsolete ones from the list so that the list is "cleaner". 

I wish there is a copy paste values or break links somewhere so that locked down versions are values only; and won't be affected by lists changes. Any idea if this can be done?

On your alternative solution, maintaining a different employee list for each version means complicated nested formulas in the employee details module; especially if we keep adding more versions right?
  • I had this issue, the way that I got around it was to add a line item into the relevant modules which I needed to lock down. In this line item I linked it to a module with just Versions and a line item of a selection to show what type of version it was.
    I then created a copy of the relevant modules and copied the required data into them, in the original module I have a prior forecast version. In all the formulas I have added an IF statement linked to the line item. So if line item = prior forecast then go an look at the prior forecast module else just do the usual formula.

Its something I cant believe isnt in the system, as you would want to lock budgets down. You need ot think about what data you need to lock down. I have just copied values for Employee summary numbers, not actual employee level data as this wouldnt work if people change for any reason - Balance sheet - P&L - Pipeline forecast by contrasct, this requires creating a new list for the budget as the original will change.
    Its a pain but it works.

Hope that makes some sense.