How do I sort a list?

In excel, order the list members (members only, not parents, etc, just the members as they appear in the list in Anaplan) in the order you would like it in Anaplan.   Then copy just the list members.   In Settings->List->Grid View (not Tree view!) of the list, click Insert, choose Start as the ‘position’, paste in the list, click OK

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Note that you could also achieve this by exporting the list members, copying and pasting with the above method.  If your list has a composite hierarchy then you would need to set up a filter so that only those list members are that particular level are shown.  This can be done in a module by the following:

- Create a module with only the dimension of the list you want to export.
    - Add one line item that is boolean formatted, and set the formula to "TRUE"
    - Filter where that line item is checked and export via Data > Export

Answers

• Hi Moritz/Ryan,

Any ideas if it's possible to sort a numbered list? On insert it just asks you how many items you want to insert, so copy/paste wouldn't work.
    Could I turn it back to a general (non numbered) list, sort, and then make it numbered again?

I will try the above and post the results.

Thanks,
    Simon
  • [quote=Simon Ritchie]Hi Moritz/Ryan,

Any ideas if it's possible to sort a numbered list? On insert it just asks you how many items you want to insert, so copy/paste wouldn't work.
    Could I turn it back to a general (non numbered) list, sort, and then make it numbered again?

I will try the above and post the results.

Thanks,
    Simon[/quote]

Simon - did you ever figure this out?
  • Hi Mitch,

This is what I did:
    • Turn it back to a general (non numbered) list,
    • Use the techniques described by Moritz/Ryan above to filter out parent items and sort as needed
    • copy just #Number Ids
    • In Settings->List->Grid View (not Tree view!) of the list, click Insert, choose Start as the ‘position’, paste in the list, click OK
    • And then make it numbered again, remember to set the Alias to what it was previously
    It's pretty manual, havent found a way to automate it yet.

Cheers Mitch, Hopefully see you again in London soon.

Simon
  • [quote=Simon Ritchie]Hi Mitch,

This is what I did:
    • Turn it back to a general (non numbered) list,
    • Use the techniques described by Moritz/Ryan above to filter out parent items and sort as needed
    • copy just #Number Ids
    • In Settings->List->Grid View (not Tree view!) of the list, click Insert, choose Start as the ‘position’, paste in the list, click OK
    • And then make it numbered again, remember to set the Alias to what it was previously
    It's pretty manual, havent found a way to automate it yet.

Cheers Mitch, Hopefully see you again in London soon.

Simon[/quote]

This is great! It is a bit manual and cumbersome, but it beats doing it manual any day. Thank you all!
  • There is a way to do this with a line item using the rank function. If your list has a code that is a numeric string, convert this to a value then rank it. Then apply the sort based on that rank on the lowest level of the hierarchy.

The syntax I used was RANK(VALUE(CODE(ITEM('List'))), ASCENDING, AVERAGE, TRUE), sorts hierarchy automatically