How to get total count and standard deviation

Highlighted
New Contributor

How to get total count and standard deviation

Can someone please guide me. I have each SKU and would like to get total count and standard deviation. I can get sum but for 7months of data how can I get total count and standard dev? 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: How to get total count and standard deviation

Break the standard deviation equation into its parts and solve them bit by bit:

Standard Deviation = Square Root of ( ( each X minus average X) / number of values ).

I prefer to break complex line item formulas into components ... each () is typically a separate line item and they get pulled together into a single simpler formula.  

Average X = (sum of X / number of values)

Number of Values = sum of (If In relevant time range? then 1 else 0)

In relevant time range? = boolean time filter

Here is another thread that shows a more elegant way to achieve this in a single line item: 

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Best-Practices/STANDARD-DEVIATION

Highlighted
Certified Master Anaplanner

The link to the Anaplan Community provided returns a 404 error for me but Anaplan does have a Descriptive Statistics model that provides insight into how you can perform calculations such as finding the standard deviation. I'm attaching a screenshot for anyone else that stumbles onto this question but doesn't want to download the model

Cheers,

Marc

Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

@mweinzim24 

I get the same errror. Time for a new best practice I suppose.

To help answer @danishnoorani1 question and extend @hendersonmj  answer, I posted this step-by-step DISCO method to calculate the standard deviation.

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Anaplan-Platform/Standard-Deviation-Using-no-timescale-and-without-...

In this method though I break one of the PLAN tenants. I have a back and forth calculation between the transaction module and the calculation module because the dimensions are the same. But it's pretty straight forward.

Hope it helps.

Jared Dolich
Highlighted
Certified Master Anaplanner

Thanks @JaredDolich !