How to prevent misentry by end-users when importing.

Hi Anaplanners,

On my current model, there is an export module providing a CSV template for end-users. When end-users get this CSV, I’d like them to be submitting the date format correctly (ie Q1F Y23 rather than Q1FY23).

4F6C3DF9-2D90-46F4-8E81-88BB1A3FAAB1_4_5005_c.jpeg

Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 17.01.22.png

Does anyone know if there is a way to put a drop-down list on the date column of a CSV file to prevent possible misentry by end-users? As seen on the last screenshot, I can do this by selecting “ask each time import is run” for that column, but it will not be the most easy way for the end users.

Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 16.21.07.png

I’d appreciate any help.

Aykut.

Best Answers

• JaredDolich
    Answer ✓

@aykcos 

Very common issue and a great question related to data integration. I'm not sure if you're referring to an export or an import but here's some ideas for each.

Export

• format the line item as a period (quarter in your case). This will force them to pick from a valid quarter.
    • If you need them to enter a date then format the line item as a date and create another line item that converts that date to the right quarter
    • If the line item must be a text format then you must consider adding additional line items that parse the text to ensure the date was entered correctly. Use conditional formatting if not and create an exception report that shows all the invalid dates entered before allowing the export.

Import

• One answer. Data hub. Ideally, the data is cleansed outside of Anaplan before importing but sometimes that's not possible. In that case, consider using the data hub to audit the transactions for invalid formats and create an exception report.

Hope that helps.

• ryan_kohn
    Answer ✓

In addition to @JaredDolich's excellent response, one other piece of advice I have from a usability standpoint is to "pre-populate" the template with some sample content so that people know which format of data you are expecting. The screenshot you shared appears to have no dimensions. You could add a list that includes a single item saying something like "Sample Formats (please delete before uploading)", and then use that as the dimension for the export template, and then add in values for each of the line items in the format you are expecting.

Answers

• Thanks @JaredDolich ,

You are helpful as always. Creating an exception report in the data hub is a great idea. I appreciate your help.

Aykut

• Hi @ryan_kohn,

This is a very clever workaround and simple to use. Thanks for your reply.

Best,

Aykut