How to reduce the cell capacity

Hi,everyone.

I would like to reduce the cell capacity by reducing the module "Applies To".

コメント 2020-06-11 214721.jpg

"List A", "List B", and "Item List" are set in "Applies To" of "Module A". Time Scale is Month.
"List B-Flg1 Actual" is set to the value of "Actual" if the flag of "List B" is TRUE. (The same applies to "List B-Flg2 Actual" and "List B-Flg3 Actual")
In order to reduce the capacity, I would like to reduce "Applies To" of LineItem so that the same result as before modification can be obtained.

I'm very in trouble because of the huge increase in cell capacity.

Could you tell me the good solutions?

Best regards,

taku

Best Answer

• Hi @taku.s 

If I understand you correctly, an Account can have only ONE category. In this case it should be a property or an attribute, not another list dimension.
    Example:

Accounts List

-- Account 1
    --Account 2

--Account 3

--Account 4

--Account 5

--Account 6

--Account 7

--Account 8

--Account 9

--Account 10

Categories List

-- Category 1

-- Category 2

-- Category 3

-- Category 4

-- Category 5

And here is the actual values 
    image.png

When I use the 2 dimensions in a module, here is what the results look like: 
    image.png

Look at all the empty cells...These are unnecessary intersection cells that count against the module size but they will never be used.
    If the Account list was representing a Sales Reps for example and the Category list representing Location where they work

We will have a combination like this 
    Einas - New York
    John - Boston

Jane - San Francisco

Smith -- New York

Einas will always have New York as the location where she works we can't have another entry that says Einas - Boston. More than one person can have the same location Einas, Smith --> New York. But that still doesn't warrant using the 2 dimensions together.

Here is a visual of how you would implement this the right way with Category as a list formatted line item i.e.an attribute or a property of Account-
    image.png
     Let's compare the cell count for each module
    image.png

image.png

That's a 60% reduction for such a small list.

Bottom Line

Differentiate between a dimension and a property and implement accordingly

Use multiple dimensions when the intersection between all the combination of the first and second lists have meaningful values.

That should take care of your Account and Category lists. Make the change, decide what to do with the Project list, and let me know if you have any questions or you want me to explain any of the points in this list further.

Answers

• Hello @taku.s 

The issue is not in the "Applies To" area. According to the implementation, you are using dimensions where probably you need to.

When you add 2 dimensions to a module what you are essentially saying is ..... There is a value in each intersection of the 2 lists for example:

List A
    A1
    A2

List B 
    B1
    B2

If you add these 2 dimensions to a module then the expectation is there is a meaningful value for each the following combinations
    A1 B1
    A1 B2
    A2 B1
    A2 B2

I can vaguely understand what you are trying to accomplish, and it is clear that the 3 lists don't work together in the way expected. There is a lot of sparsity - empty cells- which tells me the intersection between the 2/3 lists doesn't have a value.
    My guess is List B could be changed to an attribute or so.

Could you please elaborate further on the use of the lists and what is the business issue/case you are trying to implement and what is the expected outcome?
    This way we can guide you to the best design.

• Hi @einas.ibrahim 

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry for the poor explanation..

In this example, I want to get the "Actual" of List B-Flg1,List B-Flg2,List B-Flg3, which is calculated by the SUM function in the record of List A for each Item List.
    So, in order to realize that, I think that it is necessary to add LineItem-formula:ITEM(List A)-for displaying List A.

Best regards,

taku

• Hi @taku.s 

Don't worry about the explanation, I'll be here until we figure this out.

Can you please give me the relationship of these lists to each other. You don't have to reveal any business information. You can say Liat A is fruits and list B is - I don't know - crate size. Something to help us understand the relationship and hence the business logic to determine the best solution.

• Hi, @einas.ibrahim 

Thank you for your kindness.

The relationship of these lists to each other is ...

Item List is Account.

Item A is Category.

Item B is Project.

Although not included in the above figure, Category (List A) is set in Property instead of the parent item of Project (List B).

Best regards,

taku

• hey enias, your suggestions helped me , was running in similar things.

@einas.ibrahim wrote:

Hello @taku.s 

The issue is not in the "Applies To" area. According to the implementation, you are using dimensions where probably you need to.

When you add 2 dimensions to a module what you are essentially saying is ..... There is a value in each intersection of the 2 lists for example:

List A
    A1
    A2

List B 
    B1
    B2

If you add these 2 dimensions to a module then the expectation is there is a meaningful value for each the following combinations
    A1 B1
    A1 B2
    A2 B1
    A2 B2

I can vaguely understand what you are trying to accomplish, and it is clear that the 3 lists don't work together in the way expected. There is a lot of sparsity - empty cells- which tells me the intersection between the 2/3 lists doesn't have a value.
    My guess is List B could be changed to an attribute or so.usps tracking usps tracking

Could you please elaborate further on the use of the lists and what is the business issue/case you are trying to implement and what is the expected outcome?
    This way we can guide you to the best design.

• I’m glad It helped.

Let me know if I could be of help.

• sure !! my pleasure..