How to show summary levels dynamically for automatic update of chart

Hi, I have a module with time and client list as dimensions. The client list looks something like this:

Economy Clients

- Economy Client 1

- Economy Client 2

Premium Clients

- Premium Client 1

- Premium Client 2

The line item, for example, is Revenue. I published the line item as a chart by manually selecting only the Summary levels, i.e. the bar chart with bars showing revenue for Economy Clients and Premium Clients on a time axis.

However, now I added a 3rd category, so my list looks something like this:

Economy Clients

- Economy Client 1

- Economy Client 2

Premium Clients

- Premium Client 1

- Premium Client 2

Luxury Clients

- Luxury Client 1

However, the chart does not update automatically as it's not dynamic. Is it possible to dynamically select only the summary levels using a filter in the module? I want to republish the chart but want to make it dynamic so that in future if I were to add more client categories, the chart updates automatically.

Appreciate your help on this.

Best,
Nishant

Answers

• we were actually having a discussion yesterday on that.
    Look at how I do a filter on levels here
    https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Anaplan-Platform/Guide-Multi-Level-filter-selection-on-composite-hierarchy/m-p/93688#M21138
  • @nishantgarg 

Yes, this is possible.

The trick here is to create a filter module dimensioned by your target list, along with a subsidiary view dimensioned by the parent and a ratio summary setting.

Create the following line items;

ChrisHeathcote_3-1612439616131.png

Notice that I have used a subsidiary view for the line item Parent Item. This has had its dimensions changed to the parent of Level 3, Level 2.

ChrisHeathcote_2-1612439570162.png

Also, notice how the summary option for Parent Filter Ref is ratio.

ChrisHeathcote_4-1612439716955.png

The final filter line item, Parent Filter Boolean is Parent Filter Ref = 1 and the summary set to formula. 

This set up will check all parents rolling up the hierarchy.

If you only want the immediate parent, one level up the hierarchy to be checked change the summary option of Parent Ref to Sum.

ChrisHeathcote_5-1612439865171.png

ChrisHeathcote_7-1612439904463.png

Good luck,

Chris