Import and export data treasure hunt

We're restructuring the Import and export data section of Anapedia, and we'd like to find out if our new structure is intuitive. Try our imports and exports treasure hunt and see what you can find! The exercise finishes today, but if you have a spare 5 to 10 minutes, why not have a go?

Answers

• @HollyN 

Enjoyed that. Thanks for taking the time to user test the navigation. Just one callout with question number 2. I didn't find the topic at all that I needed, I would have just used Google to search for it. The question was asking about selective access which was not a topic in any of the dropdowns.

• Thanks, @JaredDolich , we really appreciate the feedback! I think you might be referring to Task 3:

You want to import list data from another model, but you only have selective access to parts of the list in the source model. Where would you look to see whether your access limitations apply to the data that’s imported?

The page you were looking for was Access constraints in model-to-model imports.

This was the task most people stumbled on, so you're not alone! It would be great to hear your thoughts on our proposed solution.

In the exercise, we had this page here in the navigation structure:

Import data into models

• Import data sources

• Import data from another model

• Import from a module or saved view

• Import list data from another model

• Access constraints in model-to-model imports

We think Import data from another model didn't really fit under Import data sources. We're thinking of moving Import data from another model, and its child pages, up to directly beneath Import data into models. So the structure would look like this:

Import data into models

• Import data from another model

• Import from a module or saved view

• Import list data from another model

• Access constraints in model-to-model imports

Do you think that would have made the page easier to find?

• @RoSmith 

Right. Sorry, task 3. I think if the "issue" is that I can't get the list items (due to selective access constraints) my thought process would be to find a page that would help me diagnose the issue, say a page like "common issues with imports". In that page would be all the links to the pages you've got in those lists. The overall reaction I had to the proposed navigation is that it assumes I know what the issue is. I think it would be easier to just have a landing page with all the top issues.

So in essence, you could have the proposed navigation AND an alternative landing page for top reasons (with all the links).

• Ah, OK. Thank you for your thoughts.

I think maybe the wording of the task was misleading - this isn't a common issue people have with imports so much as it is something you would want to know when you set up or run this kind of import. We will incorporate linking from higher level pages to help guide users to this information as well - as you note, that's really important in helping people find the information they need - the testing tool just focuses on what people can find with the navigation alone.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!