Is a source model mapping update needed after model name change?

Hey Everyone,

I tested this, but want to be 100% sure before making the update. Can someone confirm that the Source Model mapping does not need to be updated if a model name is edited. I see that the existing Source Model's name does not change, but the imports appear to still be running correctly even though the name is now different.

Thanks!

Answers

• We have models where the name changes regularly and it does not impact our imports. Names can change but the model ID behind the scenes used for the mapping remains the same. It can be confusing because you are correct, the name within the Import Data Sources does not automatically update. If you need a sanity check, click Edit on the data source in question and you should be able to confirm that it is indeed referencing the correct model.
  • Yes - imports look for the model by ID first, then by name if not found.

If an import is run by a user with sufficient access and the name of the model has changed, then the data source will be fixed up with the new name, although confusingly the name of the source itself won't be changed. Likewise if a source model is replaced with one with the same name, the data source will be fixed up with the new ID if possible.

If the model is remapped, then things are different - the model name is ignored and only the model ID is used, and no fixup is possible.

• Thank you both for the advice! Have never had much opportunity to change models names without interfering with integrations until the connect upgrade.

To be sure I am clear, I could expect the following to be true for the below examples?

Example 1:

Scenario: "Model 1" (Model ID: 12345, WS ID: 12345) name updated to "Model 1.2" (Model ID: 12345, WS ID: 12345) with the existing model mapping in a subscribing model as shown below.

Result: Anaplan Recognizes the Model ID as the same as the existing mapping and imports are unaffected.

Source Model:                                      Mapped to:

Workspace 1 / Model 1 Dev                 Workspace 2 / Model 1

Example 2:

Scenario: "Model 1" (Model ID: 12345, WS ID: 12345) name updated to "Model 1" (Model ID: 56789, WS ID: 56789) with the existing model mapping in a subscribing model as shown below.

Result: Anaplan does not recognize the model that was remapped because the Model ID is only used and is now different. Remapping to the new Model/WS does not solve this?

Source Model:                                      Mapped to:

Workspace 1 / Model 1 Dev                 Workspace 2 / Model 1

• Scenario 1 - if only the name of the source model is changed. all import from source model will still work

Scenario 2 - if the model ID is changed, then you need to re-map the models in "Source Models" from the general settings tab... Even the names will coincide with the old source name, the actions will not work on the new model or will work from the old model, if not archived.