Is it possible to make just one column in the worksheet grid view non-editable

sagarkpr
edited November 2022 in User Experience

Hello Community,

I am working on a user request where I have used Worksheets to create a page. The page has a grid that will be used to record input from user.

I see that there is an option to make entire grid editable or not. Is it possible to do the same for each individual columns? My columns are coming from a list which has 3 members. I want to get input for 2 members but not the third member?

Best Answers

• JohnP
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

Hi @sagarkpr, you can also use dynamic cell access to restrict write access to certain columns.

You will need to create a separate module with the list you are using for the columns and a boolean-formatted line item to mark which columns should be editable, example below:

JohnP_0-1669733508274.png

You then apply this as the Write Access Driver to the line item in the data entry module:

JohnP_1-1669733655438.png

And this prevents data entry in the column for Item 1:

JohnP_2-1669733704473.png

You can also use this on modules with a list on each dimension, as below:

JohnP_3-1669733749176.png

Hope this helps!

Best,

John

• Tiffany.Rice
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

You can create a write access driver Boolean line item that is dimensioned by the plans list and then select the 2 plans that are editable.  This can be used to apply the same access across all users.

I've mocked up a simple example - this can be expanded based on your needs as DCA is very versatile.  

Create a SYS module to manage the access driver: 

TiffanyRice_3-1669733716272.png

Then apply the drivers to the input line: 

TiffanyRice_1-1669733641914.png

Users are then able to input only for list items indicated within SYS module: 

TiffanyRice_4-1669733812117.png

Answers

• JohnP
    edited November 2022

Hi @sagarkpr ,

Have you looked into using Dynamic Cell Access or Selective Access to control user write access to the columns in this grid?

Both can be used to control whether a user has read and write access; Dynamic Cell Access is best if the columns are line items, Selective Access if the columns are items from a list.

Best,

John

• sagarkpr
    edited November 2022

Thanks, I indeed using Selective access currently to achieve this. Wanted to know if there is other ways to do this as well.

I am not a big fan of selective access for that fact that I have to select users manually for read/write access. If I expand and add more users, I have to go back to do it again.

• Tiffany.Rice
    edited November 2022

Dynamic cell access will give you more flexibility to apply the same read/write logic across all users.  You will need to create a Boolean line item that houses the logic and then apply that driver to the line item you are trying to restrict. 

• sagarkpr
    edited November 2022

@Tiffany.Rice  My columns are not list items but actually they are members from a list. I have created 3 plans but want user to only edit 2 plans and not the third one.

Selective access is what I am currently using but want to make sure that is the best option since I have to manage that everytime I create new users.

• sagarkpr
    edited November 2022

Thanks for detailed explanation @JohnP . New to Anaplan and have not tried the Dynamic cell access yet but will definitely give it a try.