Level 1 Model Building Certification Exam Issues With Updating EMP02 Formulas

Hello,

I am currently in the process of completing the Level 1 Model Building Certification Exam. I've gotten to a point where I've been asked to update the EMP02 formulas for Bonus %, Car costs, Phone costs, and Medical costs to reflect the new EMP03 module. I attempted #4 and failed both times, so now I'm on #5, which asks about Sales department phone costs in December 2020. The current formula I have in EMP02 is:

IF Employed? THEN 'EMP01 Employee Drivers'.Phone Allowance[LOOKUP: 'SYS08 Employee Details'.Department, LOOKUP: 'SYS08 Employee Details'.Country] ELSE 0

I've attempted the following formula:

IF Employed? THEN 'EMP03 Employee Drivers by Role'.Phone Allowance[LOOKUP: 'SYS08 Employee Details'.Department, LOOKUP: 'SYS08 Employee Details'.Role] ELSE 0

However, when I tried to submit this formula into the module, I got the following error:

Invalid formula for 'EMP02 Employee Expenses'.Phone costs: Automatic sum of 'EMP03 Employee Drivers by Role'.Phone Allowance over Roles hierarchy is not possible as Roles does not have a built-in top level

What exactly am I doing wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-ws696201

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @ws696201 

Can you check you Role list on configuration tab whether you have entered Top level item or not?

Please read below best practices article on "Top Level Item and Parent Hierarchy"

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Best-Practices/Top-Level-Item-and-Parent-Hierarchy/ta-p/56249

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Akhtar

• Hi @Akhtar.shahbaz 

I looked at the info you gave and tried inputting "All Roles" as the top level. However, there is already a parent item in the list called All Roles. Is there a better top level, such as Total Company to use for this roles list?

-ws696201

• Hey @ws696201

I am in the middle of the exam and am having this exact issue. Did you ever sort this out? 

Formula updates won't work (same error message you got), and I cannot add the top level item "All Roles" for the same reason you couldn't - "'All Roles' is not valid for the name of the top level item of Roles. 'All Roles' clashes with the name of an existing List Member."

• Hey guys @jtootle @ws696201 

I wish you the best in learning and obtaining the certificates.

I just want to direct your attention that you should not be sharing exam questions or seek help in that area on the forums.

Please try to identify the area/concept where you feel you need assistance and we will be happy to help you. 

Mention me in these general questions and I’ll be more than happy to help you. 

good luck 

• I am having the same issue....just wondering how you were able to resolve this. This is the error that I keep getting:

Invalid formula for 'EMP02 Employee Expenses'.Bonus: Automatic sum of 'EMP03 Employee Drivers by Role'.Bonus % over E3 Role hierarchy is not possible as E3 Role does not have a built-in top level

Thanks!

• I am having the same issue, any ability to understand how this was resolved?

• Hi @ws696201

When you tried inputting "All Roles" as top level, you are getting error "name already exists". Any guess where it exist? Did you check your data imported into Role list?

Point to note - check source data and understand data before import, and if necessary set up Top Level or Parent Hierarchy in your model before data load. Trust this clarifies. 

Cheers!

• Step 1: Delete the Parent All Roles from Grid view.

The hierarchy will become flat hierarchy.

Step 2: Now mention/update "All Roles" in Configure tab as Top hierarchy.

Hope it helps.