Level 1 Model Building - Importing Data

Hi
In going through the import data files (e.g. Products), I came to understand that although the parent-child hierarchy is defined in the Lists, the following still need to be defined:
1) the data for the parent (Product Family - Chocolate, Sours, Taffy, Fudge) in the import file.
2) the mapping for the parent (Product Family) during import.

I would have thought that since the parent-child (Product Family and Product) hierarchy was already defined, then parent (Product Family - Chocolate, Sours, Taffy, Fudge) would automatically be filled up but it does not seem to be so.
Appreciate if some light can be thrown with respect to the above.  Thanks.

Star_0-1584407078277.png

Answers

• Hi @Star,

You are doing really well.

1 thing you should change.

in the Sys06 Product Details Module, you should write a formula for Code and Product Family as CODE(ITEM('P2 Products')) and PARENT(ITEM('P2 Products')) respectively.

while setting the action you should do these

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

Now you won't get any error.

Thanks.

• @prabhu and team
    As I moved further the Activities, i.e. Formulas, I found the answers which confirms my understanding. In the Activities for Importation of Data, there was no explanation as to whether to import:
    1) Family Code
    2) Product Code or Product Name or both
    or that which of the above shall be defined as Formulas in the future Activities.

Upon doing the Activities for Formulas, there is an Activity to define formulas for Code and Product Family, which means upon definition of the formulas, their data shall be pulled from the Lists defined - based on the hierarchy (data in black then) - which was what I was confirming.

It would be good if the Activities explain these and show screenshots of the results for the respective Activities so students can compare their results with.

@prabhu
    You are correct. Formulas need to be defined.
    1) For best practice, I would imagine it is better to import Codes rather than Names, right?
    2) For Size, any difference between defining Fixed Line item and Column 4: Size?
  • Hi @Star,

1) For best practice, I would imagine it is better to import Codes rather than Names, right?

Yes you are right.

Reason is :

If you have a numbered List, you may have Some duplicates List item name, Only code will be unique and only codes can differentiate between the duplicates.

2) For Size, any difference between defining Fixed Line item and Column 4: Size?

Yes, There is a difference.

Consider this case, I have a module which has Rank (First, Second, Third, Fourth......) and Day (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.....) as a Dimension and Value as Line Item.

Capture.JPG

While Importing Data(Value Line Item) into a module, See the difference between fixed item and Column 

Here i have Defined Column 1 for Rank

Capture1.JPG

As a Result, All Ranks are Mapped Accordingly.

Capture3.JPG

This is the output.

Capture2.JPG

Scenario 2:

Marking Rank as Fixed item

Capture11.JPG

Here to the Note : If i mark as Fixed Item, i asks me to select any one Rank

Capture22.jpg

So only your business case/requirements decides whether fixed item or column is suitable.

Hope it Helps.

• @prabhu 

The mappings are as below:

Star_1-1584620611431.png

Star_2-1584620739843.png

Result:

Star_3-1584620826212.png

The above should be the result until formulas are defined for Code and Product Family, correct?