Look for similar Item

Good day!

May I ask for any ideas how can I execute a search for similar items from a list. I have a list of stores with several properties such as type, target market, population of location etc. and if I add a new store, I want to assocoate the new store to an existing store with the similar or nearly the same properties. Any ideas how can i do this?

Thank you!

Renier

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi Renier,

My thought is that you can filter out the like stores based on the property selections (Again you can mix and match the logic And/Or here.

Below is a screenshot that illustrates this. I select a Target Market and a location. This is a module without dimensions and only list formatted line items.

I have a module with store as a dimension (And Target Market and Location are properties. Best practice says store properties/attributes in a module instead of a list.)

I filter out the stores based on the selections I have made in the previous module.

Screenshot1.png

So based on the properties, a particular list gets selected. You can expand this to any number of selections accordingly.

Let me know if this solves.

Thanks 

AK

Thanks !

• Hi,

Depending on the nature of your search there are few ways to go about it.  If a user is trying to do a search and see all possible occurrences you could use a search feature and filter on the results using the find function. Here we have a simple example with family members and properties concatenated into a unique code.  The user performs a search and the underlying records are flagged if they contain the search string. In this case a search for John results in relative match.

There are 2 modules, 1 unique code and search field line item:

Search Fld Dashboard.jpg

Search Fld Mod.jpg

Data to Search.jpg

Regards,

Dave

• Hi,

Assuming you follow the DISCO methodology of System, and you have 'Store Properties' module with Store along the row, and all the required properties along the columns.

You can use the Quick Filter as explained below:

https://help.anaplan.com/anapedia/Content/Modeling/Working_with_Data/quick-filter.htm

Thanks,

LipChean

• If your question is how to quickly create a new store, based on existing stores, then you can short list the existing stores based on other members suggestions & then you can use the "Copy Branch" action to create a new store which will have same property as the pre-selected store. This will work only if your Store List is a numbered list.

You can read more about the Copy function here: https://help.anaplan.com/anapedia/Content/Modeling/Build%20Models/Actions/Other_Actions/Copy_Branch.html
  • Thanks for sharing your idea.
    what if i have the following stores
    Store 1: Type A : Location A ; No. of Competitors: 0 ; Monthly Sales
    Store 2: Type B ; Location B ; No. of Competitors: 3 ; Monthly Sales
    Store 3: Type A ; Location C ; No. of Competitors: 3 ; Monthly Sales

then i plan to open a new store with Type A, Location A and No. of Competitors: 1,
    with this, I want Anaplan to provide me the store with similar or nearly the same properties, so that I can get the monthly sales of that store.
    Any ideas how?
  • Thanks for sharing your idea. what if i have the following stores Store 1: Type A : Location A ; No. of Competitors: 0 ; Monthly Sales Store 2: Type B ; Location B ; No. of Competitors: 3 ; Monthly Sales Store 3: Type A ; Location C ; No. of Competitors: 3 ; Monthly Sales then i plan to open a new store with Type A, Location A and No. of Competitors: 1, with this, I want Anaplan to provide me the store with similar or nearly the same properties, so that I can get the monthly sales of that store. Any ideas how?

• Thanks for sharing your idea.
    what if i have the following stores
    Store 1: Type A : Location A ; No. of Competitors: 0 ; Monthly Sales
    Store 2: Type B ; Location B ; No. of Competitors: 3 ; Monthly Sales
    Store 3: Type A ; Location C ; No. of Competitors: 3 ; Monthly Sales

then i plan to open a new store with Type A, Location A and No. of Competitors: 1,
    with this, I want Anaplan to provide me the store with similar or nearly the same properties, so that I can get the monthly sales of that store.
    Any ideas how?

• You can use Copy Branch option to copy Store 1 as a new store & edit the No. of competitors for the new store created. This will reduce the time involved in creating new list item especially when there are lots of properties associated with the list member.
  • Hi,

I'll expand further on my previous 'Quick Filter' comment.

Create a module 'Store Properties' with 'Store' as list, and 2 line items of 'Store Type' and 'Location'.

Note that the 'Store Type' and 'Location' are also of 'Store Type' list format, and 'Location' list format.

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 12.22.09 AM.png

Create a module 'Store Sales' with 'Store' as list, and any monthly value line items that you want to analyse. I have created 3, i.e. Sales, Foot Traffic, Rent for illustration purpose.

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 12.22.19 AM.png

Create a dashboard combining the 2 modules above.

To do what you want, you can first do a quick filter.

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 12.22.44 AM.png

Note that the 'Quick Filter' only shows what's available in the current column, i.e Type C is not an available option in the Quick Filter, though it's a member in the 'Store Type' list i created.

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 12.23.32 AM.png

After doing a quick filter, you can click on either Store 1 or Store 3 to analyse their monthly values. Do turn on 'Synchronize Paging' for the 'Store Sales' module.

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 12.23.47 AM.png

Thanks,

LipChean