MailTo Formula Adding %'s to Emails

I'm trying to create an email list to send out to our end users. i used the TextList function to pull in all emails from a line item in a separate module. i have tried using both Commas and Semi Colons as separators. This line item is formatted as Text General.

kmillet_0-1665165106087.png

The emails seems to populate ok in this line item. (i have blocked out some names)

kmillet_1-1665165261337.png

Then in my mailto line item, formatted as text email, it adds lots of %'s and numbers into the email addresses. Formula below as i made line items for every part of the formula.

kmillet_2-1665165353751.png

here are the emails that it's generating (i have covered names again and highlighted the %'s and numbers in yellow:

kmillet_4-1665165458092.png

does anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix?

thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Might be a simple question but: does the link work? The %40 is the HTML encoding for "@". It is valid HTML, and the link should work. This doesn't seem like an Anaplan issue.

Some more info on the syntax for mailto links in HTML: https://developer.yoast.com/blog/guide-mailto-links/

By the way, I believe the email separator needs to be a comma, not a semi-colon.

• Thanks for the info on HTML. I have switched the separator to be a comma. 

The link also doesn't work. when i click it the screen flashes like a pop up is coming but then nothing pops out. 

here's all the line items and formula again: 

kmillet_0-1665187218611.png

kmillet_1-1665187229439.png

• Hi @kmillet ,

Please ensure the following things:

1. Format of the submit line item is email

2. In To or CC or BCC, email ids should be separated with a semicolons (;)

I have done some PoC for the same it is working.

Badam_0-1665212892442.png

If you are still having doubts, please let us know.

Thanks & Regards

Badam Anjani Prasad

Matasma Digital

• I tried to replicate on my end. For me, commas work, but semi-colons do not. As @Badam mentioned, make sure you have the line item format for the MAILTO set to Text/Email. I know you mentioned in your original post that you do, but worth double checking.

ryan_kohn_0-1665417529154.png

I've set up my example the same way you have, and the encoded values do also show up in output. The link still works.

ryan_kohn_1-1665417661772.png

Based on all the info you've provided, I suspect this is actually an issue with your computer and how mailto links work within your browser. For example, you may not have a default email client configured properly on your machine or your browser. For further testing, I would suggest: a) test from a completely different machine and browser (if allowed by your company); and b) testing that mailto links from other websites are functioning properly.

It seems like you've configured everything correctly in Anaplan.