Make a copy of our Prod model and make it our DEV Model?

jasonblinn
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Re: Make a copy of our Prod model and make it our DEV Model?

@jakesachs 

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this one. In this case, I am assuming that you are using ALM on your HUB as well.  In the source model section of the settings, you are able to map all of your source models to other models. 

In this example, i am assuming that you want DEV HUB to Feed DEV 2 and you want PROD HUB to feed PROD.

When PROD is copied, all of the imports from the hub are pointed at PROD HUB, and this step simply repoints the imports to DEV HUB. 

https://help.anaplan.com/en/bc3921b7-b169-47c3-a70d-c8fe2ef33860-Source-Models

Jason

jakesachs
Contributor

We are not using ALM on our Hub...do you think that's best practice? I'm not sure I understand why it would be necessary
jasonblinn

I have done it both ways and I personally don't think there is a right or a wrong, just an "It depends"

Using ALM allows you to have different data sets, maybe you have a size constraint and can not have a full copy of production, so you just choose a couple of categories, or customers (Depending on your hierarchies). In many large organizations, there are strict guidelines to say that Production data cannot be in a development model as well. 

If having one works for you, you are using the same data and data sets, and everything else is running smoothly, keep it as you have it!

Jason

svbhagat
Contributor

@jasonblinn 

Hello Jason,  Our team is currently using this process to copy data from PROD to DEV.  Our reason for doing so is that to be able to test and validate, we do need the latest information.  We currently only do this once a quarter after our forecast period ends. 

The issue we are facing now is that we have connected Informatica to both DEV and PROD.  The copying process changes the Model ID for the DEV which would then require us having to reconnect Informatica with the new model ID.  Are there any other options of copying PROD to DEV without changing Model ID? Is the only other option to create actions to import data from PROD to DEV?  

Thanks

Siddhi 

jasonblinn

@svbhagat 

There is no way to copy a model without getting a new Model ID. 

Generally, there is a Variable set up in integrations so that changing the Model or WS ID is quick, and you only have to change it once. I would recommend checking if you have that setup and if not, looking to see how easy it might be to get that done. Then the whole copy and re-pointing of integration should just take a matter of minutes. 

Hope this helps!
Jason

svbhagat
Contributor

@jasonblinn Thanks.  I will look into this option.

svbhagat
Contributor

@jasonblinn 

I just wanted to make sure I understand your comment below. 

"There is a Variable set up in integrations so that changing the Model or WS ID is quick, and you only have to change it once."

Does this refer to an Informatica Variable setup or an Anaplan Variable setup?  Could you clarify so I may follow up and ask the appropriate question?

Thanks

Siddhi

jasonblinn

@svbhagat 

It would be on the Informatica side. 

Think of it like this: 

variable = Blue

Integration1: The Sky is variable

Reads: The Sky is Blue

Integration2: My favorite color is variable

Reads: My favorite color is Blue

In the above example, "Blue" is your Workspace ID. The integration is written with "The Sky is" hardcoded, and then references to what the variable states to complete the phrase. As you can see, I have multiple integrations that reference the same variable, and therefore, by changing one field, I am able to utilize that in multiple integrations. 

This is obviously an overly simplified version, but hopefully paints a picture of what it can do. 

Jason

svbhagat
Contributor

@jasonblinn Thank you.  I'll follow up accordingly.

andrewtye

Hi Amanda

Whilst the answers are correct and you just basically go along copying, archiving, relinking various models this question needs to be answered...

Why are you wanting to put production data in the dev model? This surely goes against security issues about not having live production data in development areas. Certainly if this were to happen in where I work all sorts of flags would be raised.

The dev model should only contain enough data to be able to prove calculations and data flow working, then onto test where there might be live structures but still "fake" data before going to the prod model where there's live data which often has sensitivity around it.

Andrew