Master data and transaction data data hub in workspace

Hi Experts,

We are working on a new project and data from ERP ( Supply chain ,sales ,Finance) Master data and transaction data will be fed into anaplan data hub . As every workspace has a max capacity of 130GB , what is the best practice ? Should we segregate datahubs in one workspace for e.g. one datahub in a WS for master data , one datahub in a WS for supply chain transaction data , one  for Finance transaction data so that we can make sure that the workspace doesn't run out of memory ? Or we should have one datahub for Master data in a WS and one for transaction data in a WS or both in one WS ?Is there a limit to the number of work spaces that you may have based on the license structure or is there a fixed workspace limit ?

Thank you

Srivaths

Answers

• @Srivaths123 

Lots of directions you can go with that. Here's a couple of thoughts which really comes down to how much security you need.

• The advantage of partitioning a workspace for the data hub is for segregation of duties and to add an additional layer of security. Each workspace can have it's own set of users so you would only allow people access that help administrate the data hub. 
    • If you must have a separate data hub for each horizontal, i.e. finance, sales, supply chain) then consider creating three models in the partitioned workspace. I would only suggest separating the models if there is a security concern though. For example, the data integration modeler in charge of Finance shouldn't see the data hub for sales. Otherwise, one big data hub is better so you can reuse some of the master data, for example the time properties.
    • As a last resort, if you absolutely must segregate the data hubs for each horizontal, you can create three separate workspaces. I would not recommend this as any common data will have to be constantly synchronized.

Hey, just some thoughts. You might also consider creating a pros/cons grid and really think about what you're signing up for. Overall, my experience has been that keeping the models as simple as possible is best. Once you have integration points all over the place, it becomes a support challenge and quite a burden.

• Thank you Jared. Appreciate it.

One question- Is there any limit to the number of Workspaces that you may have? or is that based on your license structure?

Thank you

Srivaths

• @Srivaths123 

No limit and no impact to licenses but  you must work through your BP or through Anaplan Support to make the partition changes. Licenses only come into it when you need more users. Typically, the users and the extra memory go together. I might be wrong on this but I think there's a rule of thumb 5GB per user. Not sure 100% on that though.

• @Srivaths123 

Planual - 5.07-11 House a Data Hub in a separate Workspace. The Planual suggests having a data Hub in a separate workspace allows the data hub to expand in size without disrupting inbound or outbound integrations in the future. It also allows for the segregation of duties. So try to have a data hub in the separate workspace (Keep it away from Spoke model / Planning Model WS). 

It's good to have one data hub call it one source of truth to handle all your master data and transaction data. As far as I am aware there is no limitation in creating any number of workspaces. You can contact Anaplan support to split up your workspace based on your requirement.