Null value vs. True zero

Hi, I am trying to differentiate between a 'null' value versus an actual true zero (- vs 0) on a dashboard. Has anyone had any experience with this? I am looking at formula options to resolve this issue. Any help is appreciated! Thanks, Kaley

Answers

• set up a conditional formula which tests for <> 0, then use either conditional formatting or a boolean to highlight the result
  • Hi Kaley,

Anaplan doesn't really have a concept of null values for numeric fields. However, there are some workarounds, one of which should work for you:

1. Use a list. If your numeric field has a fixed set of values (even if it's a very large set of values such as all the percentages between 0% and 100% in steps of 0.1%), You can then have a blank value in the line item, which is different from the list member representing zero. But you'll then need additional code to convert the list members to meaningful numbers

2. Use a small non-zero value such as 0.00001 or -0.00001 to represent zero, and true zero to represent null

3. Use one of Anaplan's "numeric exception" values, such as NaN ("not a number") to represent null. You can get NaN with the expression DIVIDE(0, 0) and you can test for it by checking
    IF x <= 0 or x >= 0 THEN  ELSE 
    4. Supplement your numeric line item with a boolean that indicates that the value is in fact null. Then your logic will need to check both line items

One of those should work for you.

Pete
  • Hi Kaley
    I dont see difference being identified in null and zero values in anaplan if the line item is number formatted. In addition to ideas provided by Peter

Could you please let me know the reason for using the condition, may be we can come out with better solution. I assume Zero would be uploaded during data load.

If that is the case, we can create one more line item (Check Data)
    Make it boolean format or text format
    Load a fixed character (If its text format) to that line item
     then use to define conditions in your other line items.

Thanks and Regards
    Harish B K
  • One such use case is for override values 

I do not want to add a boolean to maintain override as multiple clicks would be needed for user to override 

but if I check for override value <> 0 for the override to occur, I cannot override the original value with 0 itself. 

Regards

Sach!n