Numbered List Reset

Hi Colleagues,

In one of our Model we are using couple numbered lists and we are giving the users the possibility to insert new lines with a create action. Now I am setting up a new model for 2020 and I am trying to make some cleansing through the model, and would be great if I can reset the counting to start back from 1. 

I did went through previous topics and seen that I have the possibility to reset if only after it reaches 899,999,999 million. Is there any other possibility? What if I un-tick numbered list and put it back? Will this reset the list? If so, will it impact anything else? Actions/line item formulas, considering that I already deleted all the items created in the past year in the numbered list. 

Thank you and regards!

clipboard_image_0.png

Answers

• @Alexandru.Rosca ,

To answer one of your question, resetting the numbered list to a "regular" list and then flipping it back to a numbered list will not reset the internal numbers.  Let me ask you something, why are you wanting to reset the numbers as they really shouldn't be seen by the end user.  Are you not using the code?  I get you are using a create action by the end users (which does not offer the ability to create the code), but what I have used in the past is to update the code (where blank) in a different process.  Sometimes I will create a "Save" or "Submit" process where the first thing it does is update the code of the list.

Can you tell us a little more about the list and what it is used for?

Rob

• Hi Rob,

The desire to reset a numbered list ID at any given time is helpful when deploying a model from DEV to PROD.  This would allow us to reset from all the DEV testing and give the customer more time in PROD before having to manually trigger the reset once the threshold is hit.

Thanks,

Ryan

• Mr Whalen,

Ok, I get the resetting at any particular time, but in order to reset the list, you have to delete everything in the list which wipes out data.  Will you please describe your use case as to why the list needs to be wiped every time data is loaded vs. finding a unique key/code combination?

Thanks,

Rob

• @ryanwcloud  Just like @rob_marshall i am not entirely sure of your use case for resetting the list however let me assume that you want your users to add /see that now we adding 2020 related items . 

Perhaps you can use display name property to say something like 2020_1 , 2020_2....... and so on .  Where 2020 is current year and 1 2 can be incremental ?

Also just a quick thought . If your users are adding items manually i guess it will take them a very long long time to reach 999,999,999 . I mean if we enter  1M items every day it will take approx 2.7 years to reach 999,999,999.

• Indeed, sometimes I would like to have a fresh clean start of the numbered lists and I am not sure why the "Reset" button is not available all the time when all the elements from the numbered list are deleted. 

In order to reset the numbered list I just created a new model using the "Create Model From Revision" (below the steps). 

- Flag the numbered list as "Production data"

- Create a revision tag in the model

- in Revision tag click on "Create Model From Revision": in the new model copy the numbered lists will be reset...but also you will lose all the data or all the elements from "production data" flagged lists.

Of course, creating a new model could have other impacts on the connections with other models....