Numbered List update

Hi,

I have a numbered list A with list items. These list items are getting imported through action from some other list B.

I need to rename the list items of B and want the same renamed items to get imported to list A. When I rename the list B items and run the Import action, new list items A are getting created with new UID as it is a numbered list. I do not want new items in list A. List A has to just get renamed as per the list B. 

Please can you suggest some ideas on this.

Regards,

Rajasekhar

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @Rajasekhar,

you need to use Codes and update your list A based on Code.

So if you rename elements on your list B, and run the update to list A, the codes will be matched and your elements will be renamed instead of creating new elements. I believe now you have the update based on the unique combination of properties?

Let me know if you have more questions!

• @Rajasekhar 

First of all DO NOT import from List. Create a module dimensioned by List B and create a saved view displaying Name and Code. In the import mapping map the import based on the code. Below article will help you understand more

Hierarchy Management - Anaplan Community

Misbah

• No, I'm using codes itself, yet it adds new items. Please can you suggest.

• If I use a module to import to the numbered list instead of another List, yet the same issue arises. Please can you help on the same.

• @Rajasekhar 

Do you also change the code when updating the name on your list B? The codes need to stay the same, so you can find the elements and match them to update the name.

Can you share the screenshot of your import mapping?

• @Rajasekhar 

Have the codes changed or are they same? Care to share the screenshot of your import action? Would be helpful

• According to the requirement, the list item name of list B must be prefixed with a defined text in the module and then that is  imported as code to the list A.

So, first from List B the items are imported into module, in the module in a line item' BASE CODE' the list item name from List B is prefixed with a text and this line item 'BASE CODE' is imported into numbered list A.

So the code doesn't remain exactly same in List A and B. Please can you suggest what to do on this.

Example: List B has list items like Apple 1, Apple 2, Apple 3. I run my first action, and these list are imported into a module(having dimension List B in applies to and line item BASE CODE).

BASE CODE has formula like = NAME(ITEM(List B))_TEXT. That is BASE CODE will have value like Apple 1_TEXT, Apple 2_TEXT etc.

The issue arises when I try to rename the items in List B.

Numbered List Update.PNG

• The Codes are exactly not the same.

According to the requirement, the list item name of list B must be suffixed with a defined text in the module and then that is imported as code to the list A.

So, first from List B the items are imported into module, in the module in a line item' BASE CODE' the list item name from List B is suffixed with a text and this line item 'BASE CODE' is imported as code into numbered list A.

So the code doesn't remain exactly same in List A and B. Please can you suggest what to do on this.

Example: List B has list items like Apple 1, Apple 2, Apple 3. I run my first action, and these list are imported into a module(having dimension List B in applies to and line item BASE CODE).

BASE CODE has formula like = NAME(ITEM(List B))_TEXT. That is BASE CODE will have value as Apple 1_TEXT, Apple 2_TEXT etc.

This BASE CODE on running second action gets imported as code into List A(numbered list). 

The issue arises when I try to rename the items in List B. Please view the below attachment.

Numbered List Update.PNG

• @Rajasekhar,

The code creation line item formula in the list B module is based on your item name (NAME(ITEM(List B))) meaning the code line item is updated each time you change the name of the list B.

Make sure your code in module B remains the same even after you change the name of List B.

I suggest you to have list B with a Numbered list so that you can change the name of the list B with a display name property and keeping your code line item constant.

Let me know if you need more clarifications,

Thanks,

Sandeep

• Hi Sandeep,

List B cannot be made numbered list as it is used in other modules and for different requirements that has to be fixed itself.

Also when I change the list item B from Apple 1 to Mango 1, the code in the module becomes Mango 1_ TEXT and the same is imported into the numbered list A.

But the problem is it doesn't update the code on the existing list item #1, it adds another new list item #4 and gives the code Mango 1_ TEXT.

Please can you let me know what to do such that it updates APPLE 1_TEXT to MANGO 1_TEXT for #1 in List A.

Please view the attached screenshot.

num list update.PNG

• Hi @Rajasekhar,

you need to find workaround to make sure that your code stays the same, so you are able to match the elements, else you will not be able to update the name. 

I think you need to split it into two steps:

1) you need to have the line item with original code, you update Display Name on your list A based on original code.

2) update the old code into new code based on new Display Name

What do you mean that list B is imported into module, if it's dimension of your module, then you do not need to have any import there?

• Yes, in the module List B is already used as a dimension. Only the parent and code gets updated in the line items of the module. We can ignore that for now. 

In List B when I change list item name from Apple 1 to Mango 1,the line item BASE CODE in the module gets changed to Mango 1_TEXT which is as expected. When I run the action, The BASE CODE gets imported to code of List A.  I want the code of list A which was Apple 1_TEXT to be Mango 1_TEXT , the updated one. But issue is its updating for a new entry in List A.

I want it to update it across same old entries( i.e #1). 

The Display name of List A is as per the code. If the code is Mango 1_TEXT then the display name would be mango 1.

My only concern is that the code APPLE 1_TEXT should get updated to MANGO 1_TEXT for the same entry #1(same UID ) of the numbered list A.

Please can you help on the same.

• @Rajasekhar,

That's exactly I was referring to in my previous post. You can't replace the numbered list code. Whenever you try to import into a numbered list it detects the new code and new items would get created. 

You can try clearing the complete list A before you try importing from list B. That would solve your problem. However, you need to understand how the list A would have been used in the model.

Clearing the list A might clear all the data which is dimensioned by list A. 

or

You can also run an import to create active subsets in list A

Create a boolean formatted line item in your module dimensioned by list B. Have a logic to tick all the active/valid items and import this line-item (boolean formatted) into your list A subset section.

Use that subset list for other calculations or so.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks,

Sandeep