Old UX - Update parent selection based on child selection

Been searching the forum but cannot find a good answer to this challenge.

In the old UX, we have dashboards with e.g. two modules where one applies Level 2 (e.g. department) of a hierarchy as a dimension whereas the other applies Level 3 (e.g. employee) of the same hierarchy as a dimension. What we want to achieve is that when we change the Level 3 selection, the two modules should update so that they show the selected Level 3 item, and the corresponding Level 2 parent item. The synchronized paging works fine when all modules and graphs are on the same hierarchy level but we cannot find a simple way to update the Level 2 based module based on the Level 3 selection.
We can of course create a boolean in filter module with Level 3 items, update the parent based on this, and apply result as filter for both modules in the dashboard but better if we could just sync both by clicking on the Level 3 item.

Tagged:

Answers

• @hgrosen 

Synchronisation operates with page selectors and will update whenever a list item displayed in a separate grid containing a linked hierarchy is selected. 

ChrisHeathcote_0-1610536336492.png

If the dimension is a row or column in the grid you will need to use a filter to display the required list items for both modules. 

With a filter you will need to create a filter module for both grids and a selector in the form of a pick list formatted line item. Apply these filters to both modules.

ChrisHeathcote_1-1610536811989.png

In my example I have assumed that the Level 2 module contains data which has different dimensions and can not be added to the Level 3 module and displayed as the sum of Level 2.  

Good luck, Chris 

• @ChrisAHeathcote 

The page filter sync will not work for both levels simultaneously when selecting a level 3 item so will play a bit more with the filter module approach as you suggested.

Thanks Chris!

• @hgrosen 

As I say the synch will only work for page/context selectors.

If you select an item from the page/context selector the module dimensioned by the lower lever will not automatically sort to show items with that parent.

Your only option if you would like level 2 and level 3 to update is to filter on the level three list.